strawberry

+*..*+
an hour prior!!

kageyama faceplanted into his bed as he listened to hinata's advice, though it didn't actually do much justice due to the fact that he was also inexperienced with this sort of thing as well,

"why don't you have a picnic with her?" hinata sat with his legs crossed on kageyama's floor, "not as much walking, and food. that would be so fun!" he shifted his head, looking at the stressed ravenette.

"isn't that a little too cliché?" kageyama spoke with his pillow muffling his voice, "what if she gets bored?"

"i don't think she will." hinata let out a brief sigh, "y/n seems like the type to appreciate small things like that. you don't always have to go big and fancy, you know?"

kageyama flipped onto his back, his face now facing the ceiling as he replied, "guess you're right. but what do you even bring to a picnic?"

***
present!!

"i'm sorry. i forgot we'd have to walk to the pond." kageyama spoke, looking down at you with a sympathetic smile.

"it's alright, don't worry about it." you let out a small yawn in between your words, "what are we gonna do?"

kageyama raised up the basket he held in his hand, "i cut up fruit and made stuff for a picnic. is that okay?" you laughed with his unsure words,

"of course!"

the two of you walked over to the pond near your neighborhood, which just so happened to be the same one you saw with kageyama and hinata on the day of your injury. it didn't matter to you much, if anything, the pond reminded you more of the ravenette's eyes, a gorgeous dark blue that was hard to look away from,

you looked up, seeing those same eyes stare down at you affectionately and with great adoration. it made you smile, "what'cha lookin' at?"

kageyama flinched, his face heating up and his blatant gaze shifting away, "...huh?"

you shook your head, "what a dork."

"dork?!" the ravenette repeated, obviously flustered by your words, "i'm definitely... not that."

"whatever you say..."

***

a soft blue blanket was laid down on the grass, along with plastic plates filled with fruit and onigiri that kageyama had prepared just for this occasion,

"did you do all of this yourself, tobio?" you spoke after swallowing a piece of kiwi. kageyama shook his head,

"my sister helped when she came home from work today. i always fuck up the rice whenever i make it." he sighed, using his fork to poke a piece of mango, "rice cookers are so complicated."

the two of you sat shoulder to shoulder under the tree, legs stretched out as your backs leaned up against the trunk. the blanket kept your bare skin from touching the prickly grass,

"you have a sister?" you questioned, in which kageyama nodded,

"her name is miwa. you haven't met her yet." he paused in between his words to chew, "you guys are very different, though. but i guess you'd get along."

you used your fork to poke a piece of cantaloupe, "what's she like?"

"really happy. all the time. she's really expressive." kageyama nodded as he spoke, thinking of more traits to describe his sister, "she also owns a salon, and does hair and makeup. so i guess she's pretty creative too."

"hair and makeup? i'm sure she's pretty awesome then."

"she is. and now that i think about it, she did say she wanted to meet you.."

"really?" you placed the piece of cantaloupe in your mouth, chewing and swallowing before speaking again, "she knows about me?"

"yeah. i told her—is that okay?"

"of course! i was just wondering." you gave a nod in reassurance, "what did she think?"

"i never really talk about girls, so she was definitely surprised." kageyama placed his fork down, picking up an onigiri, "but she seemed really happy about it. she even gave advice, since well, she's pretty experienced."

"experienced. wow." you spoke, placing your fork down, "i'll assume you're not then, right?"

kageyama swallowed before replying, "i mean, i guess not. i've never committed to someone before, volleyball has been my main focus for like, my whole life."

"sounds like you." you let out a laugh, glancing over at him, "i've never really been interested in boys, not that they were ever interested in me anyways. i hung around ayaka and maki a lot and they always got the attention."

kageyama took another bite of his onigiri, nodding as you spoke, "you've changed."

"huh?"

"you used to be really selfless, remember?" the ravenette broke the eye contact, looking down at the ball of rice in his hand, "i mean, you still are, but now you're aware of your self worth. ayaka and maki—you used to put up with them. but now you're past that, right?"

"thanks to you." you looked down.

"what?"

"i wouldn't have been able to do it without you, right?" you smiled, "you showed me what real friends are like, and you made me feel really appreciated. i didn't need ayaka and maki because i had you... and shoyo too, of course."

kageyama grew flustered again, "yeah.."

"tobio!" you looked back up again, "can we take a picture together?"

"sure." kageyama pulled out his phone, in which you scooted closer to him. he raised his arm, and just as he was about to take it, you pressed a kiss on his cheek.

the blush on his face practically matched the color of the strawberry on your plate.

+*..*+