Chapter Twelve

The two look back at you, not sure what to think of the situation. You motion with your hands for them to continue, and they look at each other than back at you before nodding.

They send three more spikes. The first two, you double block with your brother. The third, Kei blocks on his own while you hang back on case he needs you to receive it for him. All three times, they failed to let the ball cross over to your side of the net.

At this point, more people begin to gather in the gym and watch the madness unfold. Akaashi and Bokuto tried to change their move slightly from time to time, in which case you would step in to block the ball on your own and then sign something to your brother.

You could hear Kiyoko, Yachi, and several of your teammates cheer you on, but once the ball was back in the air, your mind tuned it all out until the moment the ball hit the ground. Eventually, you were asked to play a full set against a full lineup. You look to Kei and have him ask what position you should play.

Bokuto thinks for a moment before he calls out. "Wing spiker!" Kei quickly signs something about how he is tired of being blocked and you laugh. Akaashi then fills in the remaining four places available on your side of the court and say that you will face their traditional starting lineup. Your excitement just grows.

The game starts with you serving. You can score the first 5 points there before they can even dig up the ball. The match continues for a while, and Bokuto only enters his emo mode once, and yet the set ends 8-25 with you winning. Fukurodani was baffled.

You walk over to the bench by the girls who were thrilled, handing you a spare water bottle and a towel. "Damn, didn't know you could play like that!" says Kiyoko, still looking at the final score.

You laugh and yawn, Bokuto begging for another set from the other side of the gym. Knowing you probably don't have the energy to play another set, you sit on the bench and hold up a finger for him to give you a second.

"Are you okay? You haven't played like that in a while. You want me to get you some juice or something?" You shake your head.

I'm fine. I'm just tired. I'll be okay in a few minutes. You smile and try to stand up, though the lack of energy made you feel like you could collapse at any moment.

Kei quickly sat you back down and reached for his bag, pulling out a metal water bottle and handing it to you. You confusingly take a sip and recognize it as sweet fruit punch. Though not made the way you like it, you knew the sugar would help you gain some energy back.

"We can play again tomorrow. Aoba Johsai will be here then, so you will have new opponents, and you can rest up more tonight so you have more energy. I'm not going to stop you, but just think for a second."

You do and realize the toll it took out of you and agree to go to bed. The girls take you, let you change and help you get back to your room for bed.

Not long after you finally fall asleep, you hear a knock at the door followed by some whispers. Someone pets your head and wraps your arms around something.

You identify from the texture that it is a stuffed animal, specifically Kei's favorite dino plushie from when you both were little. You think about that small act of kindness for a moment before you finally rest into a dream-less, peaceful state until morning.

The next morning, you wake up and notice everyone else was gone. There's a knock at the door and your brother slowly walks in.

"Oh good, your awake. Practice is starting soon, so I brought you a plate before they completely closed the kitchen. If you need it, I should have some spare granola bars in my bag at the gym."

Kei passes you a plate of pancakes and bacon and pets your head. "Join us when your ready. The other team should be here soon."