1 - Waking Up

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Kaede Akamatsu

My name is Kaede Akamatsu, and I am dead.

Or, at least, I thought I was. 

I was in a killing game. I had a plan to kill the mastermind and end the game, but it didn't work. The last thing I remember was being pulled by the neck, strung up and hanged in front of my friends- my only friends - who had no choice but to stand and watch the girl who thought she could help everyone slowly choke to death.

But now I'm here. Alone, laying down in a hospital bed, hooked up to some weird machine, and stuck in a cold concrete room with no windows.

 Alone, laying down in a hospital bed, hooked up to some weird machine, and stuck in a cold concrete room with no windows

Nice to meet... me.

I rose up, pulling off my oxygen mask. That's when I noticed something peculiar wrapped around my neck - a neck brace. I pressed down on it, immediately recoiling in pain. I wasn't dreaming, that "killing game" really happened and I really was hanged. So why wasn't I dead?

This had to be some kind of trick. I had to get out of here, immediately. I lurched out of bed and hobbled to the door, as if my body had forgotten how to walk. Worn out, I leaned up against the door handle. I paused for a second. What if someone was outside? 

I pressed my ear up to the door. There were two people talking. A man and a woman, I think.

"Is she gonna be okay?"

"I think so. She might need some time, though. She was in a pretty rough spot when I pulled her out."

"Would it be okay to check on her?"

"She was still unconscious the last time I checked, but if you want to, go on ahead."

They were talking about me! Suddenly, I heard footsteps coming closer. Crap! I frantically looked around the room. No windows, no vents, the only way in or out would be through the door. The handle began to turn. I simply sat where I was on the floor. 

Maybe they're here to help? 

Even I didn't believe that. If there's one thing I've learned from the killing game, it's that you should always be prepared for the worst.

The door creaked open, and in walked a man. A short guy, with scruffy brown hair, and a green jacket with some kind of suit coat over it. He looked down at me, his eyes wide. I guess he didn't expect to see me on the floor. Nervous, I held my hand up to him.

"H-Hi, I'm Kaede Akamatsu."

The man grabbed my hand and helped pull me up off the floor, resting his other hand against my back so that I wouldn't fall.

"Hi, Kaede. I'm Makoto Naegi." 

He looked me in the eyes and flashed a warm smile.

"Welcome back."