15 - The Grand Opening

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Maki Harukawa

Good morning, new life.

Today, Kaito arranged some sort of meet-and-greet. Apparently, Kaito made a few friends while he was out of the game, and wanted all of us to have a "pow-wow" where we could reconnect and mingle with our peers that we thought were dead. Shuichi wasn't feeling too well this morning, either, so now I had to go at this alone.

I met up with the rest of the group in the park. And there, waiting front-and-center, was Kaito himself.

"Hey, Maki Roll!" Kaito patted my arm, smiling. "You made it!"

"Uh huh, yeah." I muttered. "We're still doing the nickname?"

"Yeah, it suits you!" Kaito flashed a contagious grin. "Shuichi's not coming, is he?"

"No, he said he wasn't feeling well."

"Oh well. This might be better for just you, anyways!" 

Kaito grabbed my arm and dragged me over to where two other people were standing, Kaede and Rantaro. It was strange seeing the two of them in one place considering everything that happened. Then again, I had just found out that my former life as an assassin was exaggerated and dramatized for the sake of a reality show, so maybe this wasn't so weird after all.

"Hi Maki!" Kaede vigorously waved at me.

"You remember Kaede, right?" Kaito looked my direction.

"Yeah." I said, avoiding eye contact with both of them. "She's the emotional girl who plays piano and kills to help her friends."

"Okay, ouch." Kaede gave an awkward smile.

"Hey, Maki!" Kaito said in a correcting tone. "That wasn't real remember? Nobody really ended up killing anyone."

"I know, I know..." I muttered, looking down. "I'm sorry, this is all just really foreign to me."

"Ain't that the truth!" Rantaro smiled and rubbed the back of his head. "First, they tell us to kill each other, then we die, then it turns out we didn't die, and now I'm next door neighbors to the people who saved my life!" 

"Yeah, I guess you're right." I smiled a bit, still looking down.

"Of course!" Kaede grinned. "I mean, I thought I had choked to death and then I wake up in a hospital bed? Heck, I even had to use a wheelchair for months, it felt like!"

"See, Maki Roll?" Kaito lifted my head, looking me in the eyes. "This is weird and awkward for all of us! But the hard part's over, we can all be happy now!"

Tears started to well up in my eyes, and I turned away from Kaito. Something wasn't right. This wasn't the park anymore, and the paved sidewalks and grassy fields looked familiar. I looked up at the sky and gasped in shock. The cage was back. Suddenly, an icy hand grabbed at my shoulder.