13 - The Pitch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Makoto Naegi

Kyoko was sitting outside, alone on a bench. There was a sort of quiet sadness in her eyes as she gazed off into the horizon. She looked as though she was fighting a deep internal battle. Sensing this tension, I sat down next to her.

"So

"So... How is everything?"

"About how you'd expect." Kyoko turned to face me. "I've got everything packed and ready so I can leave first thing tomorrow."

"Where do you think you'll go after... this?" I looked down.

"I'm not sure." She stared off, her eyes full of focus. "Germany, maybe? I'm sure Interpol could use a detective with a hyper-intelligent computer sidekick."

"Wow, it sounds like you're starting your own spinoff show!" I laughed to myself.

"Yeah, I guess so." Kyoko chuckled.

A silence filled the air, both of us wanting to say something, but neither ready to say it. I didn't want Kyoko to leave, but I think she knew that. 

"So..." Kyoko broke the silence. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm not sure..." I paused, thinking. "I guess go back to living with Komaru."

"Yeah..." She nodded. "I guess a lot of people are just going to go back to their normal lives."

"Unless they don't have anywhere to go."

"What?" Kyoko gave me an odd look.

"Kaede just told me. She doesn't have any family to go back to. She's probably not the only one with that problem, either." I locked eyes with Kyoko.

She turned her head, staring up at the moon. A soft glow seemed to surround us, with nothing nearby but a strange house, the remains of the V3 set, and miles of open space. Suddenly, an idea began to form in my mind. 

"What if we didn't have to leave?"

"What?"

"What if we could keep doing this forever?"

"You aren't suggesting we all live in an underground bunker for the rest of our lives?"

"No, no," I shook my head, "But what if we could build something like this, but with a little... more?"

"More? Makoto, what do you want?"

I paused for a moment, thinking to myself. Up until now, I don't think I knew the answer to that question. But right now, where I stood, it was all clear as day.