How To Add Depth To Any Image | Tutorial ft I'm not dead yet

27. 02. 2021

H O W    T O    D E P T H    T O    A N Y    I M A G E
a tutorial

So apparently I'm not dead yet. Nonetheless, my exams are starting from the 2nd March and the first exam is math itself so yep, i've booked my coffin and stuff. Feel free to come to the funeral, and bring some grilled cheese if you may. You know, just in case I get hungry under my grave and all. Might share with the other dead peeps....the bacteria helping their bodies decompose, i mean.

Anyway, here's a last tutorial before my expiry date people. I kinda found this trick a few days ago, but damn did it help me. I'll show some of my recent works after the exams are over but for now, this should do it...right? aight then, lessgo.

Note: if this tutorial helps you, dont forget to credit me

Step one: Open an image of ur choice. This trick's especially good with close-up graphics, so yeah, thats a speciality but you may choose any image you like. In my case, I've chosen the image on the left of the graphic above (i've changed the eye color but yes).

Step two (not mandatory): Remove the background for ease later on. 

Step three: Select the burn tool (refer to picture below) and shade the areas you want to seem darker. Dont go against the light tho, and by that I mean that remember where the light's coming from. We dont want the graphic to look unrealistic now, do we?

 We dont want the graphic to look unrealistic now, do we?

Step four: Now that the darker areas are covered, time for some highlights/lightened areas. And hence the dramatic entrance of the dodge tool (refer to picture above) yeee. The dodge tool basically brightens up the areas you want to be brightened. Remember the source of light in this case either tho!

And voila, there you have it. A realistic, dramatic portrait. On that note, I have a few points that might be helpful for ya.

+ First of all, i think this technique serves as a lot better way to do highlights and shading instead of doing it with a brush in add/linear dodge or multiply/softlight mode.

+ Looks more realistic (and cinematic) compared to most other methods.

+ Easy peasy lemon squeezy

+ I'd suggest duplicating your image before working on it because oh well, mistakes are never predictable. 

see ya if i survive, alien out.