Tips & Tricks: CRITICISM, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT

24. 10. 2020

-this lesson was originally made for a discord server-
the graphics in this chapter have detorariated quality due to wattpad's fault

Hey guys, I know I don't usually update this book on the tips and tricks part, but today's lesson is kinda essential for me to share with you guys. It will be mostly focused on one of the most important things that you, not just as a designer, should know about- Criticism.

Why did I choose this random out-of-nowhere topic? Well, a few days back, one of my friends got her first commission crushed to the ground, just because of one damn criticism in her wattpad account. So imagine, how powerful a single criticism can be. It can either make you, or break you- and nowadays it seems "break you" type of critism is more on the "trend" than the "make you" one.

Before i move on, I want u guys to know that this topic is not targetted at anyone specifically, but if it bothers you, you should know there's still time to stop doing the wrong thing. 

Starting with the topic, there are two types of criticism:

1) "Make you" or Constructive criticism

2) "Break you" or Destructive criticism

See what happens nowadays is, people mostly focus on the mistakes in other's work, and they alert the owner of that work about the mistake, saying they're "just helping them improve". Now here's the thing: you aren't "helping them improve", rather breaking the small amount of confidence they even had on that piece of work. Especially as a designer, we usually categorize most of the graphics as "average" (not "amazing", or "whoaa" unless others say it), so when someone points a mistake in your work, it hurts. You spend all those hours, and people could only see that one mistake? Ouch, right?