Break the Ice

Minho POV

It's nearly 11 in the morning. We are panting and breathing heavily after playing basketball. We often play here before every weekend but today was different because a kid's laughter, while we play, was very contagious. Joohyuk, Kimbum, Bohyun, and even I can't focus on shooting the ball. We can't help but smile every time Choco attempt to shoot the ball with all his might.

I hold him and raise him so he can reach the ring. He clap his hands happily after he struggled to shoot the ball.

Sohee and Goeun finally return.

Goeun approaches me, trying to get Choco from me.

"I'm sorry for leaving him here. Choco let's go home, baby." She apologizes and holds Choco's arm but the kid doesn't want to go with her.

"No! No! I want the ball!" said Choco, still clinging his arms on my neck.

My attention was beamed on the sweats that flowing from her forehead down to her flawless neck. I gulp. She's on her sports bra now, her gray jacket perfectly wrapped in her waist.

Seeing her this close and clear under the sun's brightness, she's so beautiful. Effortlessly beautiful. Why didn't I notice her before?

"Choco comes on, let's take a shower, you like that right?" She said with a convincing voice but the kids still holding on to me. "Choco please. Don't be stubborn," she said now with gritted teeth. Suppressing her annoyance. Choco then started to cry.

I smile at her. "I'll go with you," I said. Rubbing Choco's back. He is now hugging me so his sister can't get him.

"..what?"

"I mean I'll walk you home. He seems like he doesn't want to let me go yet."

"No, it's okay. I already bothered you enough, I'll take him now."

"We are done playing so it's not a big deal. Come on." I walked ahead. I know she will keep refusing me but I will keep insisting then.

I look back and they were all walking behind us. I'm sure Kimbum and Joohyuk will take shower at Bohyun's house. They were chatting together with Goeun and Sohee.

They stopped in Bohyun's front gate and I stop with the gate across it.

"Bro, where are you going?" Kimbum asks.

I tried to put Choco down but he strongly hold on to my neck and attempting to start crying.

"I'll meet you guys after I drop Choco inside," I said casually, as if Goeun and I had known each other for a long time when in fact we just met last night.

Kimbum and Joohyuk gave me a suspicious look. I glared at them and look at Goeun. She waves her hand to them and ushers me to follow her behind.

"Come here as soon as you drop them," Bohyun said coldly? Then he enter their gate door followed by Sohee, Joohyuk, and Kimbum.

We parted ways. I followed Goeun. I planned to just drop Choco in front of their gate but he doesn't let me go, then I should drop him in front of their door but his arms were still wrapped on my neck.

A man came out from their house, probably their Dad. He look at Goeun then at Choco and finally his eyes landed on me.

"Oh. What's the situation here? Is Choco okay?"

"He just doesn't want to let go, he wanted to stay on the court." Goeun frustratedly explain but the eyes of his father never left mine.

"Hi, Sir. I am Lee Minho. Nice to meet you." I extend my hands to shake.

"Right. Yes, Appa he's Minho, Bohyun's classmate." Goeun said immediately avoiding any misunderstanding that may cross in her father's mind.

"Oh. Nice to meet you too, Choco come with me let's buy something outside." Mr. Kim smiles and shakes hands with me then grab Choco. The kid did not refuse and go with his Appa.

"Appa, he's full of sweat. I'll shower him first before you leave."

"No, it's okay. I'll buy him something to eat first. We'll be out for a while. And make something for Minho." Mr. Kim said before they disappear in our sight.

I turned to Goeun and she's now back on being shy. I scan her face and said, "I'll go now." She immediately raises her face and looks at me.

"Ahm. Are you hungry or even thirsty? I can get you some inside." She offered. I smiled, I know she wants me to be gone already but she still tried to return the kindness.

"Water. Water will be enough for me." I replied and she nodded. I'm thirsty, to be honest, I walked carrying Choco from the park to their house.

I thought I will just stay outside waiting for water but she usher me to enter. Without anything to say I immediately comply. She walks straight to their kitchen.

"Wait here." She said guiding me to their living room. Their house is not that big, but it is very tidy and warm. The interior is just minimal and clean.

I sat and look at the designs on the wall. There were paintings of faces and portraits of her family. Several medals and certificate awards were plastered on their wall. I also have things like these but it was placed on my drawers, scared for it to be worn out by dust.

"What do you prefer? Tap water or Cold?" She asks. My eyes beamed at her. She's waiting for my answer with her hands ready to open their refrigerator. "Cold please," I said.

She's thoughtful.

"You've got a lot of medals." I start striking conversation out of nowhere. I want to know her, I feel like we are alike in some ways somehow.

"Ah yeah. Some of it got unrecognized because of dust. Been cleaning it since then but it doesn't get better so I left it there the way it is." She explains.

"Why don't you take it off there? It will go to waste leaving it getting dusty and worn out." I said while roaming my eyes to the walls.

She did the same before answering. "My Eomma plastered it all. She's so proud of my achievements that she wants every people to see it." She smiles a smile that doesn't reach the eyes.

I went speechless.

"Ah. Here's your water." She handed me a glass of cold water and went back to their kitchen.

"Thanks," I said, I should think of another topic. I don't wanna leave yet. But why don't I wanna leave yet?

What do I want from her?
I want to know her more. I feel like she's a nice girl.
What should I do then?
Probably talk to her casually?
Break the ice and strike another topic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Please be aware that this is a work of Fiction only. The places, scenarios, and conversations are purely made through the author's imagination. Also, bear with any grammatical errors. English isn't the author's first language and every chapter was published unedited.