Chapter 101

A lot changed in the hours following our meeting. Master Yoda went into exile on some planet that he refused to name while Bail went off to Alderaan with Leia, who is now his daughter.

Master Yoda insisted that Bail also take Grogu to Alderaan for the time being. The little green creature won't blend in there for long, but it will do for now. Bail assured us that Grogu would be taken care of adequately in our absence.

I asked Artoo and Threepio to go along with him, knowing that their skills would be far better used in the growing rebellion than going on the run with me. I will miss them both, and I'm sure Arthree will too, but it's for the best.

Part of me is also hopeful that the two droids will be around to help my daughter grow into the person she is destined to be. Luke will always be connected to his family by growing up with Owen and Beru, and I hope that the influence of Anakin's droids will help Leia be connected too.

The setting today is far different to that of the asteroid we were residing on. 

The remaining members of my group and I are on Tatooine, where Luke will be given to the only family members he has left. 

With my baby boy cradled in my arms, I trek through the sandy terrain between the ship and the homestead belonging to the Lars family. The hut itself isn't my current destination, rather a small site located beside it.

I kneel on the hot sand before the headstone belonging to Shmi Skywalker. I haven't visited her final resting place since the day that Anakin and I found her. I have always felt guilty about it, but I could never put Anakin through the trauma of coming here. His mental state never quite repaired after that day, and coming back would just make things worse for him.

If Anakin were by my side right now, I believe our combined power could send some sort of message to Shmi's soul in the netherworld of the Force. Even on my own, with my extreme level of power, I probably could have accomplished such a thing.

Today, I doubt I will be able to accomplish that. I know how weak I have become in the Force since the interference of Darth Sidious. In any case, I owe it to Shmi to at least try.

I place an anxious hand on the gravestone of Anakin's mother, eager to connect with her soul on any level. Just as I had predicted, my weakness in the Force will not allow me to feel anything. 

"Hi, Shmi," I say, my voice trembling with regret for all that has transpired. "I don't know if you remember me, but I was with Anakin when he went to rescue you from the sand people."

I wince slightly at the memory. I hadn't met Shmi Skywalker before that day, but I still loved her. She meant everything to Anakin at one point, and she was the very person who gave him his capacity to love.

Even if I was denied the opportunity to properly know Shmi Skywalker, I will always hold love for her in my heart.

"Your son and I fell in love. We married, even though it went against everything the Jedi Order stood for. We were happy; we were each other's happiness," I continue to explain.

Our love story contains a significant amount of tragedy. Hidden among that tragedy, however, is an abundance of good memories and happy beginnings. While we were together, we meant absolutely everything to each other. 

"I eventually fell pregnant, and just a few days ago, I gave birth to your grandchildren; a sweet baby boy and a brave little girl. In fact, the little one in my arms is your grandson, Luke," I say.

Luke is still peacefully sleeping, blissfully unaware of the pain his mother is enduring. I wish I could let him be peaceful like this for the rest of his life. Unfortunately, life will never reach a point where he will be this peaceful again.