Chapter 68

Now that the trial is over and the names of Cal Kestis and Ahsoka Tano are cleared, Anakin and I are taking a moment to speak with Padme. We are still in the same, awful Court Chamber within the Senate Building, although I have every intention of leaving once this conversation is over.

"Thank you, Padme. I don't know how far they would've gotten without you." I say, appreciation evident in my voice.

"I'm just glad you found Ventress. If you didn't, I don't think my words would've been enough." Padme replies.

What Padme doesn't understand is that she was their only hope up until I found Ventress. If I hadn't, their fate would have remained in her hands. I don't think she understands how big of a task that was, nor how well she handled it.

"Regardless, you got up in front of everyone and went against common belief. That's heroic, Padme." Anakin adds.

"I'd do anything for Cal and Ahsoka, just like I'd do anything for the two of you. If they were found guilty, I would have appealed the decision a thousand times over." She states.

I know Padme Amidala incredibly well, which is why I know she is being completely honest about this. She cares deeply for both Cal and Ahsoka, just like she cares deeply about us. If things had turned out differently, she would not have given up until they were proven innocent.

"Well we appreciate it." I say, speaking on behalf of us both.

"I know." She says with a smile. She reaches for a box resting on a bench by her side and holds it before us. "You'll probably want these back."

Anakin opens the box to reveal Cal's lightsaber and Ahsoka's lightsabers and Padawan chain. The fact that Padme has these on hand proves that she never intended on giving up on them. She planned to have their backs until the very end.

I take Cal's lightsaber hilt from the box and clip it to my belt. Anakin, on the other hand, takes Ahsoka's Padawan chain from the box and places it in his pocket, leaving the lightsabers inside. He takes the box from Padme and carries it in his mechanical hand.

"Thank you again, Senator Amidala." Anakin says graciously.

"You're welcome, Master Skywalker." She replies with a warm smile.

I clear my throat. "Still not a Master."

Anakin turns to me with a playful smile on his face. The whole Master thing became our own inside joke some time back. I distinctly remember him swearing that he would become a Jedi Master much earlier than most. I know I'm not a Master, and likely won't be until long after him, but it's still fun to joke about.

"It's only a matter of time." Anakin defends, his cute smile only growing larger.

Padme rolls her eyes at us both. She is very used to how we are around each other, and acting unamused by it is her go to.

"Anakin!" Obi Wan calls, gaining the attention of us all.

I turn to see Obi Wan making his way toward our small group. I don't get enough time to see Padme these days, and I would be lying if I said Obi Wan interrupting us did not annoy me.

"Yes, Master?" Anakin asks.

His voice still maintains some hostility from the previous events surrounding Cal and Ahsoka. To my knowledge, there was only one Council member who voted against the decision to exile them. That Jedi was Master Plo, not Obi Wan.

"The Council will be meeting with Cal and Ahsoka back in the Temple and they require your presence." Obi Wan states.

Anakin gives me a look, as though mentally asking for my opinion on what we should do. I personally would like it if we could all have a small break from the Council and any Jedi Masters. Regardless of what I believe, I know we have to do what is asked of us.