Chapter 11

It is an uncomfortable trip from the elegant lake house back to the original landing platform of Theed. Somehow, Anakin and I manage to act though we didn't share a steamy kiss less than an hour ago. I was hopeful that Padme would not be able to tell that something had happened between us.

Anakin, Padme, and Artoo board the starship before us at the landing platform. I choose to stay outside for a bit longer while Anakin starts up the ship. I needed a moment longer to say goodbye to the beauty that is Naboo. There were so many memories made in the short days we were here. I didn't feel quite ready to leave it all behind. I didn't want to leave what actually felt like a normal life.

Artoo begins beeping at me from the top of the ramp.

"Coming Artoo" I tell the sassy droid as I walk up the now retracting ramp.

As on the trip to Naboo, I sit in the copilot seat beside Anakin. I can sense pain radiating from him but I don't know whether it is a result of his fear for his mother or his close proximity to me.

We get the ship out of Naboo and into hyperspace in no time at all. Anakin's unease grows as we fly closer to his dreaded home planet.

Padme excuses herself from us and heads to the back of the ship. I assume she's planning to nap again. I look to Anakin who is staring mindlessly into the vastness of space.

"We're going to find her, Anakin." I reassure him.

He offers a weak smile, "I hope you're right."

He doesn't seem eager to continue the conversation further so I begin to walk away.

"(Y/N), wait." he calls softly.

I stop and wait for him to continue.

"If we're going to Tatooine, there's something you deserve to know. Before the Jedi found me, I was a slave along with my mother. I hate to talk about my past but you needed to know the truth before we got there." He starts.

Suddenly, I see a young, broken boy in the place of Anakin. A slave? I couldn't begin to imagine the pain he is in, knowing he has to revisit a place filled with such loneliness, grief, and despair.

The empathy I feel for him begins to morph into rage. Burning rage. It hissed through my body, screeching demands of violence for those who were responsible. My fury momentarily engulfed my morals. I wanted them to pay. What kind of scum willingly supports child slavery?

"It's okay. I'm okay.  I was a lot better off than many of the other children on Tatooine. Don't let the rage you're feeling consume you." Anakin reassures me as he places a soothing hand on my shoulder. He quickly remembers the events of this morning and retracts his hand.

"I'm sorry," I mutter as the rage within me dissolves back into empathy "I've never felt that angry before."

"We're connected, remember? Your rage was amplified by my own." He reminds me. This makes me feel a little better about my unhinged emotions.

"Yeah. Yeah you're right." I pause. I felt uncomfortable after my little episode of rage. I needed some time alone, "I'm going to lie down for a bit."

I don't give Anakin a chance to say anything more. I simply walk to the back of the ship and find a place to nap. Padme had already taken the room, so I settled for the couch-style chair in a corner. Sleep overcomes me much quicker than anticipated.