Chapter 19

I brace myself for the impact of the blaster fire but it never comes. I quickly release my hand from Anakin's grip and analyse our surroundings. Count Dooku, it seems, has ordered the battle droids to lower their weapons.

"Master Windu!" Dooku calls out, "You have fought gallantly. Worthy of recognition in the history archives of the Jedi Order. Now it is finished. Surrender, and your lives will be spared."

Part of me wanted Master Windu to surrender. That way, everyone I care about would survive and I could have the chance to be with Anakin. The larger, better part of me hopes he stands his ground against the Sith. 

"We will not be hostages for you to barter with, Dooku!" Master Windu calls to the evil man before us. I admired his bravery.

"Then I'm sorry, old friend. You will have to be destroyed."

The droids raise their weapons toward us yet again. I really wish Dooku would skip the theatrics and just get it over with. I was becoming tired of the build up leading to our deaths.

I feel a vibration of sorts through my surrounding environment. I look around to find the source. Above us, six gunships are descending into the arena. They land in a cluster around us Jedi. People spill out of it and begin to fire at the droids. They all wear the same armour. Soldiers, I assume.

There is a hellstorm of laserfire that bounces off the laser shields of the gunships and lightsabers of the Jedi. All of the remaining Jedi in the area run to the starships in a desperate attempt to escape. Anakin and I run to the same one containing Obi Wan and Padme. They help us inside as the ship flies out of the horrific place.

Below us, the soldiers open fire with their heavy artillery. Explosions wreck parked battle starships and troopers advance on the droids. Flying droids engage fire with the gunships and Jedi fighters.

I look down to the fallen Jedi lying on the ground of the arena. Padawans, Knight, Masters. Jedi of all ages had perished at the hands of the vile Sith Lord. None of them deserved this. None of them deserved to die at the hands of someone who they once saw as their own. 

Dooku is going to pay for what he has done.

Our gunship skims the battlefield below, firing down on the droids while also deflecting fire. I remember a time when missions excited me. That side of me is definitely long gone. How could anyone crave this? How could the Jedi participate in such violence when we are meant to be keepers of peace?

Ground fire and heavy explosions rock the gunship.

"Hold on!" Obi Wan yells.

Thanks for that Obi Wan, I was planning to just let myself fall out of the ship.

Anakin chuckles to himself but covers it up by clearing his throat. For a moment I forgot that he could hear my inner thoughts.

I look back to the battleground below us and notice troopers advancing toward the droids on speeders. Spider-like droids fire at our troops while Jedi use their lightsabers to continue slashing through battle droids. It was like the battle would never end.

"Aim right above the fuel cells." Anakin commands the pilot.

Blasts from our gunship pelt the base of that of the enemy. Rocked by the explosions, it begins to tilt over.

"Good call." Obi Wan commends "Those federation starships are taking off. Target them quickly."

The gunner does as suggested and fires at a Trade Federation starship rising from the docking port. Despite our heavy firepower, there is no apparent damage.