2.6 Struggle with proverbs and allusions. (2)

They finally reached Liu Nana's courtyard and Steward Han urged her to lie down on her bed to rest. He lectured her until she finished a cup of tea, then bid his farewell to go back to the emperor's side. Unexpectedly, he discovered a familiar small face as soon as he turned around.

His heart immediately became lighter when he saw a composed little milkbun. Gao Qingxuan hid behind a corner and beckoned Steward Han with his chubby hand. The old eunuch helplessly followed suit and bent down to listen.

"Grandpa Han, is Imperial Mother back?" Gao Qingxuan asked.

"It's Steward Han, Young Crown Prince." Steward Han smiled at the milky voice who called him affectionately 'grandpa'. "The empress just returned. Gao Qingxuan pursed his lips together and took a deep breath, "Is our fox cub with Imperial Mother?"

"Yes, did Young Crown Prince forget to take the cub with him?"

"En... has Imperial Mother asked for this Prince? What should I do... I can't tell Imperial Mother that I was there..."

Gao Qingxuan stammered out of fear. But he had to take Kumquat back himself, since his mother was unable to leave her courtyard. Steward Han looked at his conflicted face and whispered lightly, "Young Crown Prince may I suggest something ba."

Gao Qingxuan perked up his ears and nodded solemnly.

"Young Crown Prince can just say that his pet got lost while taking it out for a stroll. The empress didn't confirm the cause of the fox's sudden appearance yet. As for us subjects, we didn't see the young crown prince," Steward Han guaranteed.

The little milkbun nodded his head excitedly and went to see his mother.

Gao Qingxuan hastily stepped towards the inner chamber where Liu Nana rested with Rong XingLi on the bed.

Liu Nana leaned against the bed frame with a simple robe draped over her shoulders. The always tied-up black hair fell down like the swaying leaves from a popular tree. Coupled with her gentle smile, it gave her beauty a touch of softness in comparison to her usual aloof and stern image.

Rong XingLi stared at her rare appearance without makeup and had to admit—The little bunbun totally took after his mother! It wasn't apparent at first glance with her strong eyeliner, but Gao Qingxuan inherited his gentle eyes from her.

But that wasn't the point, because those very eyes of her gazed at him with kindness while teasing him. She wasn't resting at all and bullied (petted) him to no end ah!

No longer able to take this, the small furball beside her kneaded her leg with two round paws.

"Arf!"— You must rest!

Rong XingLi urged her to lie down and ignore him. But Liu Nana only chuckled and continued to pat his head.

"Does our Kumquat haven't had enough stroking yet?" For her, he just looked strikingly silly.

Misunderstood and not taken seriously at all, he tasted the inconvenience of not being able to speak for the first time. Instead of urging her, he put physical distance between them. What he didn't expect was that Liu Nana lifted him up before he left her reach. Stuck between a wall and a rock he left it to destiny and prayed.

Jing Yi, where are you? I need mental support ba.

Just as he gave up all hope a mellow voice resounded. 

"Imperial Mother, Imperial Mother! Please look at Qingxuan's calligraphy ba."

Liu Nana and Rong XingLi looked to the incoming little prince, who brought a scroll with him. Along with the male lead, a certain system also revived from the dead and drowned out the merry chatter of Gao Qingxuan.