12. First Day

As we pulled into the school parking lot I saw a lot of people, a lot of people. I think Teo noticed my shift in comfortability as he rested his hand on my shoulder. "Everything is going to be fine. I promise." He smiled as the car engine turned off.

Stepping out of the car and Teo linked arms with me as if we were children that were going to get lost in the mall. I felt a lot of looks on us, people whispering and staring. I did not like all of this attention, but Teo pulled on my arm to reassure me. "Just ignore them." I nodded, but the feeling of hundreds of daggers in the back of my head was not a pleasant feeling. I just concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other, I just concentrated on my breathing, I just concentrated on holding Matteo's arm. And with that we walked into the office without a panic attack and the old lady plastered with a scowl passed me my schedule.

M/W/F -

HISTORY

ENGLISH

ITALIAN

MATH

BIOLOGY

CHEMISTRY

T/T -

ART

PE

STUDY HALL

PHYSICS

ENGLISH

ECONOMICS

I smiled at my subjects; I actually really like my schedule. "I'll walk you to History." Matteo smiled.

"We'll catch you guys later; we have got to get to Bio." The twins smiled and walked away. "What grades are you all in?" I asked Teo as we walked down the corridor. "The twins are seniors, I'm a junior and you... dear baby sister are a sophomore."

I nodded and walked with Teo, as we reached the class he kissed my forehead "good luck, remember call Enzo if there is an issue. Call me If there's an urgent emergency."

I walked into class and the teacher looked at me, "Are you new sweetheart?" he smiled. "Erm y-yeah." I looked at the floor, ignoring eye contact. "Okay...what is your name?" he asked. "Charlotte."

"Okay Charlotte in the back seat over there ok. I will fill you in later okay?" I nodded and walked over towards the seat.

I pulled out my textbook from my bag, the lesson went over quite quickly and quite smoothly. I took notes until the professor announced for a pop quiz.

My heart dropped as I knew I wouldn't know the answers, yet they were actually really easy. Almost elementary school level questions.

After flying through the questions, I watched the clock. Once the bell rang, I packed my bag and stood up. Funnily enough the teacher was the first to leave the room. I picked my bag off the floor and began to zip it up when three girls walked in front of me.

"Excuse me." One of them giggled, all these girls had bleached blonde hair and fake tanned skin. Their faces covered with makeup and they had ruined their uniforms. They had the first three buttons of their shirts undone, which revealed their boobs. They had their skirts almost fully revealing their arses. Instead of brogues they were wearing heels.

They looked as if they could be genuinely beautiful girls if they didn't cake so much stuff onto their faces to make them look crusty.

Something about their whole aura thought, it just screamed pick me girls.

I looked at them and smiled. Maybe they actually are nice, there is no need to judge them before I get to know them

"Did you hear me bitch." One girl asked.

"Hmm? Sorry no." I picked up my bag.

"I said stay the fuck away from my boyfriend you little whore. Okay?" she plastered a fake smile on... "Who's your boyfriend?" I replied.

"Are you fucking stupid? Stay away from Matteo Valentino. You are not pretty enough for him; he will never want you. You desperate slut." She spat.

I burst out laughing, "You are so stupid he won't ever want you." she spat and rolled her eyes at me.

"Thank god he won't ever want me that's actually disgusting." I began to laugh again. I could almost swear I saw steam coming out of her ears.

"Disgusting, just like you." she had the comebacks of a kindergartener. It was actually laughable.

"I have a question for you. Can you remember that time I asked for your opinion?" I paused. "Yeah me neither."

"Ew you are such a loser, I am so much cooler than you."

I looked at her tilt my head and smiled, "if you are cooler than me... does that mean I'm hotter than you?" I questioned. "Thank you very much." I smiled

"No you are ugly."

"Sweetie, its okay if you don't think I'm pretty. Not everyone had good taste. Now bu-bye" I picked my bag up and walked out the room as she screamed "BITCH!"

As I walked into the corridor, I was getting a lot of stares, but I chose to ignore them and go straight to English.

As I arrived in class "You must be my new student. I am Miss Langford. Please take your seat." I nodded and walked over to an empty chair and sat down. I took my book out my bag, the teacher informed me that the class reading for the semester was Pride and Prejudice. I smiled as I had already read that book so many times and I knew it very well, almost cover for cover.

Miss Langford went through the book, making discussions and giving off notes. She had even asked me to get involved, at first it gave me quite a bit of anxiety but there was another girl and a boy. Annabelle and Thomas, me and Annabelle had teamed up against Thomas and were having a full debate on Austen's intentions and the purpose of the name

"Elizabeth's pride makes her misjudge Darcy on the basis of a poor first impression, while Darcy's prejudice against Elizabeth's poor social standing blinds him, for a time, to her many virtues."

The class debate continued until the bell rang, "Charlotte, Tommy, Annabelle." Miss Langford called out. "Stay behind."

Once the rest of the class had left, "So I was wondering, Tommy and Annabelle, if you would be interested in having Charlotte join our debate team if that is something you would like of course." She smiled at us.

"Oh my god mom... I mean Miss Langford... we were actually going to ask Charlotte at lunch." Thomas smiled at me, "You really, really have a talent for debate and your passion for the subject is a rare quality."

"And Charlotte, you would of course gain extra credits for class and we go on field trips all over the country for debates, all of these would look outstanding on a college application." Miss Langford said, she seemed to be begging me rather than asking me.

"I would love to join; I will have to talk to my family about it first to make sure it's okay. I'm sure it will be fine, but I will ask tonight and tell you tomorrow." I really was enjoying this school; I had never been invited to join anything, so this was really a big deal. I was ecstatic.

Next class was Italian, I don't know why my brothers signed me up for this class. I am fluent in it but that may be why... they thought it would be easy for me so no stress.

I walked into the class "Buongiorno signorina, sono nuovo. Il mio nome è Charlotte" (Good morning miss, I am new. My name is Charlotte.) I smiled and sat in an empty chair. "Buongiorno" she replied.

The class flew by, I don't know if it was because I zoned out or it really just was the quickest hour of my life.

Now it was for the time of day I was dreading, the social aspect of high school. The anxiety. The noise. The gross food. I was not looking forward to stepping inside that cafeteria. I just hoped that my brothers would be there.