Eleven: It Speaks

"I have to inform Knockout of the situation. Why don't you go bother someone else so he can focus," Ratchet suggested.

Sunbeam went to visit Starscream while everyone was trying to think of a plan to stop the Decepticons get the Tesseract. Technically I'm following orders...Ratchet did tell me to go bother someone else...Sunbeam thought as she opened the door and sat next to Starscream's cell.

"What do you want?! I hoped I had scared you off," Starscream stated. Sunbeam shook her head.

"It'll take more than that. I've heard worse from the people who made me. So what's up?" Sunbeam asked.

"Your level of annoyance," Starscream grumbled. Sunbeam just laughed.

"Good one. You're kinda funny!"

"You think so?" Starscream raised an eyebrow.

"Well sure! What you said was funny! It happens that insult humor is my favorite kind of funny."

"I see. Quite the simple creature, aren't you?"

"That's what Ratchet says! You two should meet! I'm sure you'd get along!"

"We've already met..." Starscream deadpanned. "Or did you forget that we have been fighting a war this whole time? I would not easily forget the Autobot Medic."

"Nah, ya haven't actually met each other. Ya haven't spent time together outside of war. So, ya haven't met."

"Well, I don't want to meet any Autobots, then."

"I'm Sunbeam! Nice to meet you!" Sunbeam extended a hand and a grin.

"Didn't you hear what I just said?"

"Yeah...but I ain't a real Autobot...I ain't from their planet, and I've killed humans. I've broken their only two rules."

"Then, you should join the Decepticons. You would be treated better, with more respect."

"Thank you...but I can't...I ain't got nothin' against you guys, but I go where Ratchet goes. And he ain't switchin' sides. Besides, ya can only speak for yerself."

"I see..."

"Oh! I almost forgot! I made some Energon cookies for everyone! Want one?!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! Of course, I learned the hard way to add the batter to the Energon after the Energon melted in the cooker thing...whoops..." Sunbeam scratched the back of her head in embarrassment before handing Starscream a cookie.

"You're sure it's safe...?"

"Absolutely! I've eaten, like, three!"

"That doesn't prove much..."

"C'mon, humor me just this once."

"Fine. But only because I'm hungry..." Starscream reluctantly ate the cookie. It was actually pretty good. Not the best, but not bad.

"Sunbeam! Where are you!" Arcee called.

"Oop! That's my cue! See ya later!" Sunbeam said with a smile and wave as she left.

"I should've known..." Ratchet stated with his hands on his hips. "Did you get anything?"

"Nope. He did try to convert me, though." Sunbeam replied.

"He what?!"

"Right?! Super rude! Especially when I was tellin' him how I felt."

"What did you say?" Arcee asked.

"I said no. I said, 'I go where Ratchet goes!'" Sunbeam answered.

"That's nice," Arcee replied. Sunbeam nodded.

"Yeah! He's a lotta fun! We spent a night in Alaska and had a snowball fight and —"

"Okay that's enough of that..." Ratchet interrupted. "We need to know who gave you the Tesseract. They could be in real danger if the Decepticons find out what they did."

"Uh...I don't think that'll be a problem..." Sunbeam started sadly.

"Why not?"

"He's dead..."

"Oh...then, I guess he won't have to worry about being tortured by Decepticons," Wheeljack pointed out.

"Yeah..."

"Do you know anything about the Tesseract? Where it's from? What it can do?" Ultra Magnus questioned.

"Not really..." Sunbeam admitted.

"Not that she'd really remember if she did. With all due respect, for some reason her memory's not great. It's been one of -many- obstacles to overcome," Ratchet stated.

"Yeah...I don't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning!" Sunbeam agreed with a hearty laugh.

"You didn't eat breakfast," Ratchet deadpanned.

"Oh...guess that explains it then," Sunbeam said with a laugh, causing Ratchet to facepalm.

"Agent Fowler, you had files mentioning the Tesseract. Did they ever state what it could do?" Ultra Magnus asked, turning to the human.

"It said it was some sort of energy source. But, it evidently drove a bunch of scientists insane when they tried to take samples or do anything to it," Fowler reported.

"Drove them insane?" Ratchet asked.

"Yeah. All they'd do after messin' with it was mumble something about fear and stuff like walls closin' in," Fowler explained further.

"Interesting...so that means you don't really know much about it either..." Ratchet replied. Fowler let out a nervous chuckle.

"Nope, sorry."

"That's fine, Agent Fowler. We'll just have to keep looking," Ultra Magnus suggested.

"Can I help? I have really good ears and a really good nose!" Sunbeam offered.

"While that could be helpful, Ratchet informed me of the situation and has recommended that you stay grounded. I cannot reject the good doctor's advice," Ultra Magnus replied. Sunbeam deadpanned at Ratchet.

"Gee, thanks..." she said sarcastically. Ratchet just shrugged and got back to work.

"Keeping the Tesseract away from the Decepticons is our top priority. Unless you allow it to be removed from your chest, you cannot leave," Ultra Magnus continued.

"Those ain't very good choices...I can't remove it or it'll kill me and everyone in this room," Sunbeam admitted. "At least, that's what it told me."

"What?" Ratchet asked.

"It told me not to let anyone remove it," Sunbeam repeated.

"So...you're like it's human shield?" Knockout joked, receiving an elbow to the back of the head as a result. He let out a yelp.

"Yeah, kinda. It sounds like an echo, so I don't always catch what it says, and it talks to me constantly," Sunbeam explained.

"That explains your odd sleep-talking," Ratchet blurted.

"I talk in my sleep?"

"Unfortunately."

"Perhaps you should listen closer. It could be speaking for a reason," Ultra Magnus suggested.

"How do I do that?" Sunbeam asked.

"I could put you under temporary stasis. Perhaps that could quiet your thoughts and hearing enough for you to hear what it's saying," Ratchet offered.

"Okay...let's do it!" Sunbeam exclaimed.