Twenty Three: Foreign Projects

"Man, how are we supposed to even do this project?" Jack asked, sitting around a poster board with Miko and Raf.

"What project?" Sunbeam asked eagerly. "I'll totally help!"

"Yeah...I don't think that's the best idea," Raf admitted.

"C'mon, we all worked on that memorial project together..." Sunbeam pointed out.

"Yeah, but this is a school project...which means, we'll get in trouble for hacking into our teachers' computers and breaking the law," Jack stated.

"Well, can't ya just tell me what it's about?" Sunbeam begged.

"Well, it's about foreign countries. We're supposed to find facts about the place we picked and present them in class..." Raf explained. "But there isn't much to go on here..."

"Yeah. Way to go, Miko," Jack teased.

"How was I supposed to know that a remote island wouldn't have too much information available?" Miko questioned.

"I'm not even gonna dignify that question with a response..." Jack replied.

"Well, what island did you choose?" Sunbeam wondered aloud.

"Aogashima Island. It's off the Southern coast of Tokyo," Miko responded.

"Sounds awesome! We should go there!" Sunbeam decided aloud.

"Uh...I don't think Ratchet really wants to take us on any more trips..." Raf admitted.

"I'll ask him! It'll totally help with yer homework!" Sunbeam exclaimed before rushing off to ask Ratchet.

"No," Ratchet responded simply.

"C'mon, it's for a school project. They could learn so much! And don't you wanna help 'em get good grades?" Sunbeam asked.

"The last time I 'helped' with their grades, they failed. Miserably. So miserably in fact that Jack almost went to prison and Rafael had to deal with Child Protective Services for a month," Ratchet pointed out.

"Well, this is the perfect opportunity to make up for it," Sunbeam said. Ratchet huffed.

"Fine. But only because I would hate for the kids to fail again," Ratchet agreed.

"Yay! Hey, kids! Get yer cameras and notepads, 'cause the next stop is the island who's name I totally can't pronounce!" Sunbeam shouted happily.

"This is a terrible idea..." Shockwave pointed out. Ratchet nodded.

"I couldn't agree more," Ratchet agreed.

"So why'd y'all choose that island anyway?" Sunbeam asked the kids.

"Miko said that at night, if you looked at the sky, it'd feel like you're looking directly into space," Raf stated.

"Cool!"

"Yeah, and we were gonna look up stuff online, but everything we found just kept saying the same things, and not enough to make an entire project on," Miko sulked.

"Then it's lucky we're goin' for a visit, huh?" Sunbeam replied.

"Yeah, no kidding," Jack agreed.

"Oh, hey Predaking! Would you and yer friends wanna go with us?" Sunbeam wondered aloud.

"Why would we want to do that?" Predaking questioned. "It seems like it would be a waste of time."

"You'd get to stretch yer wings, though," Sunbeam pointed out.

"I would much prefer to stay and keep the prisoner in line," Predaking decided aloud.

"Alrighty then. Hey, Shockwave! You should come with us too!" Sunbeam suggested.

"Would it further my research?" Shockwave asked, as he hadn't been paying much attention.

"Probably. I mean, it's an island in the middle of nowhere. Who knows what we'll find!" Sunbeam exclaimed.

"I would rather stay here and monitor the groundbridge, then. Besides, I need to make sure the Predicons do not harm Starscream...again," Shockwave insisted. Sunbeam slumped her shoulders a bit.

"Oh. Okay, then. We'll bring ya back some postcards!" Sunbeam offered.

"Wait! That reminds me! Check out what my host parents got me!" Miko shouted, pulling a Polaroid camera out of her backpack. "I can take pictures while we're there!"

"Perfect!" Jack exclaimed.

"Now we won't have to print any out," Raf agreed.

"Exactly!"

"I'm sending you kids home early so you can pack for tomorrow. Now, go before I change my mind," Ratchet said before sending each of the kids through the groundbridge and to their houses.

"Hey, Jack! Man are you lucky I decided to cook dinner late! I assume you haven't eaten?" June started.

"Nope. I was doing a school project with Raf and Miko," Jack started, sitting down at the table to a bowl of a random soup. At least, he thought it was supposed to be soup.

"Really? What's it about?" June asked as she too sat down across from Jack.

"Aogashima. It's an island Miko's always wanted to visit. We're actually going there tomorrow. Wanna come? We're probably going to stay overnight," Jack offered. June grinned.

"Of course! I'd love to know what you kids are up to now," she agreed.

So, the next morning, June picked up Miko and Raf, and they headed toward the Autobot base fully prepared for their trip.