Chapter Thirty Seven: Gates Opened to Old Friends

The group took off once again this time nearing the grand gates. These were the most guarded walls Yi Lian had ever seen and he grew up in a palice. There was someone on watch every metre down the line. The walls themselves were the size of mountains of different stones, like they had been built on and built on after many many years. It was intimidating but the line of mysterious and loud beings at the entrance made it seem really too funny.

A guard called out, "Next."

All one would do is show a small piece of paper and no other question would be spoken.

Yi Lian had traveled far and wide and never seen such an operation at this scale.

Yi Lian, "Will the King not be alerted that demons are all flooding his gates?"

Nie Asreal shook his head. "He is on a trip to the temple in the Zhou Sect. It would be long before he hears anything of this."

Ragnou had thought this through. He had thought it through but what had he thought through was the question. It was a big move to hold a Demonic party at a mortal king's palace. Motives were still unknown.

The group came to the front. "Next."

Thorn put a hand into his sleeve and produced a snowy white scroll, only the size of a small dagger. The guard took it but quickly handed it back with a nod.

The party laughed and walked on. Yi Lian was lost in thought about this poor king when a hand grabbed his arm.

It was a guard. "Sir, are those the robes of the Yi Sect?"

Local ears perked up. Yi Lian's blood froze. He stuttered, "ye- why do you ask?"

The guard retracted his hand and smiled. "I was once part of it myself! I thought i'd never meet a member again after last time."

Yi Lian thought his wording was strange. "When were you a disciple?"

The guard flushed under the clunky armor. "Truefully I never made it that far; I was only thirteen and weak minded haha. I'm sorry to disturb you. I just thought I'd seen you in the recent past."

He was smiling as if feeling nestanga which warmed Yi Lian's heart that the sect, even for the trail disciples, was a nice memory, until his heart dropped.

Nie Asreal noticed and squeezed his hand. 'What's wrong?"

Yi Lian looked into the cheerful guards eyes in horror. "Was the one you saw, in the recent past, a royal of The Island?"

The guard nodded quickly. "Yes! A Yi Jian I believe. Truthfully he wasn't as pleased when I recognised him... scary person. He visited not long ago, a few years ago maybe."

Yi Lian swallowed.

"Is there something wrong Sir?"

Yi Lian looked down before replying, "There was never such a scheduled trip."

The guard frowned. "I- I'm sorry Sir. That is strange indeed. I'll stop being a bother and let you enjoy your night now."

Yi Lian brought his hands together in respect and carried on with an absent look.

Thorn dropped back. "Demons like to ear drop. Be careful tonight."

Nie Asreal thanked him for his worries.

If Yi Jian came here only a few years ago that did not sound good. The Demon capital of the mortal realm and he made a secret trip there. It didn't look good at all.

The upper tier was like a dream world. The houses were high and bright, all lit up by magically coloured flames and strung with colourful banners and lanterns giving all sorts of wishes for those who entered.