Chapter Twenty Three: A Winters Day

There was a loud knocking at the door. Yi Lian stirred awake. Despite this disturbance that would usually turn his mood, He felt refreshed, like he was back at Immortal Valleys Peak with a cold breeze coming through his bedroom window and the birds chirping happily outside.

Yi Lian opened his eyes. He wasn't at Immortals Valley Peak. There was no breeze and definitely no joyous life in this barren, sandy land that was the Deserted Capital. Yet he felt as if he were in the comfortable winter season on an early, cold, beautiful morning.

Then he looked down and all of it came back.

He wasn't as startled as he thought he would be to find Nie Asreal in his bed but he definitely wasn't calm. After a moment of composing himself and realising it was fine and Nie Asreal had cured him of the painful heat the night before as well as a few other things... he felt a feeling of happiness wash through him.

With a warm heart he leaned down and pressed his lips to Nie Asreal's forehead.

He didn't know how to thank him, or express his feelings towards him so he just smiled and snuggled down against his chest.

They hadn't known each other for long at all. Though it was strange they felt so connected. They knew as little about each other as they knew about themselves at this age, but somehow after having so long apart, and both staying so freshly on each other's minds throughout those years had created a deep desire and yearning.

Nie Asreal had little friends. He didn't get on with those in the Deserted Capital nor did he wish to but somehow after meeting this one person for less than a week, he knew there was something different about him. Nothing that could be put into words. They were so different so what did they have in common? They live and have lived such different lives but the need to look after his precious Orchid was beyond a wish to the gods. It was a need.

Yi Lian felt little comfort from anyone. He learnt not to trust those around him. He learnt that being stressed had to be simply accepted and that those with any level of power were going to hate him out of jealousy, probably even his own brother. Then there is Nie Asreal. He is not jealous. He is a source of calm and he is smart. Not only book smart but he knows how to read people, he can create and invent and won't even brag about it in a malicious way.

These two people fit. They themselves don't know how or why but it was simply the truth and with the gods as witnesses, they will be together.

Nie Asreal sighed and brought an arm around to pull him closer.

From outside the door a yell emerged, "Second Young Master Nie I will light you on fire if you don't show yourself!- Oh hello Yi Xien. Have you seen him anywhere, I cannot find him."

Yi Xien's voice was too light to be heard but that didn't stop Yi Lian from sprouting out of bed. "Yi Xien! I can dress myself- don't wait for me!"

Nie Asreal soothed him with a back hug and humming next to his ear, "Does his Highness not want to be seen with such a lowly person such as myself?" He joked.

Yi Lian rapidly shook his head. "No- No! I mean yes- Yes I do want to be seen with you just- Yi Xien will tell my brother..."

Nie Asreal shrugged. "I can help you dress."

Yi Lian blushed and nodded.

Yi Xien, "... Yi Lian I'll wait for you at the entrance to the Evil Peaks.... Be quick, your brother has already scared me twice today..."

After he left and Nie Vian's threats were echoing further and further away, Nie Asreal sat Yi Lian on the bed and reached for his Sect's event robe. They were always the best dressed. The Yi Sect were always dressed with the finest white robes with silver threads or white and blue casual attire with golden embroidery. The image of elegance and wealth. He passed Yi Lian his robe but his attention was caught by a fleecy white and grey furred cloak. It was long and finely crafted. Something definitely made especially for Yi Lian's body.

Yi Lian saw where his attention was and explained, "Sect Leader Bai had a cloak made for me for the competition to hide my identity a bit so that I would feel more at ease. It's supposed to make your eye glaze over it, look at the runes and see what you think. I've never seen anything like it before."

Nie Asreal looked at the runes closely and they definitely had the intention to make one almost invisible but something seemed off about them.

He turned to ask further but Yi Lian's inner robe had fallen from his shoulder revealing a thin, snowy shoulder. Nie Asreal was entranced but Yi Lian was paying attention to straightening out his outer robe.

Nie Asreal walked over and pulled it back over his shoulder and placed a finger underneath Yi Lian's chin to bring his face to his.

Nie Asreal, "You should be careful about who sees you like this Yi Lian."

Yi Lian looked down to his lips. They were going to be late.

He reached forward and around Nie Asreal's neck, disregarding his robes and pulling Nie Asreal down on top of him.

Nie Asreal complied and kissed back, this time his hands looping underneath his inner robe and across his bare chest. Yi Lian made all kinds of needy sounds as Nie Asreal got closer and closer. It was something about Nie Asreal's serious tone and commanding aura that drove him like this. To anyone else he would just ignore them but when Nie Asreal said such things in such a manner-

Nie Asreal quickly sat up. "No. You will be late. Tonight I'll take you to the city. We can dine at my favorite restaurant and then we can come back and do anything you'd like. I promise."

Yi Lian nodded.

Nie Asreal helped him into his robe, tied his sash, sorted out his hair and tied the cloak around his neck.