Chapter Thirty One: Long Feuds

Yi Xien clapped from above along with Bai Hua. Nie Yang looked disturbed and Zhou Chen was looking green. This strange mix was a sight in of itself.

Yi Lian watched as the frost overtook the surrounding flames, sending them into darkness and continuing on. He sighed and brought Winters-Gaze into both hands and slashed horizontally. The sword let out a deep, boom, echoing noise and the sand and dirt fell. The ice returned and it was pitch black quiet once again.

Yi Lian turned around in his hold. "Can we go back now?"

Nie Asreal smiled brightly. "Yes of course. Stay close though anything to come and.... Grab you!" He pulled Yi Lian towards him harshly and Yi Lian let out a gasp.

Yi Lian pushed at his chest and shouted, "Nie Asreal!"

Nie Asreal put on innocent eyes. "Yes Orchid?"

Yi Lian blushed in the darkness. "Improper..."

Nie Asreal chuckled.

They walked to the exit to be greeted by the Sect Leaders and Yi Xien.

Nie Yang, "That was quite... the show you put on-"

Bai Hua pushed past him and grabbed Yi Lian by the shoulders. "That was amazing! The way you can channel your spiritual energy like that, you froze everything, literally in time and in person- and the sand, wow!"

Zhou Chen tutted and left.

Nie Yang, "Nie Asreal did it... hurt you?" He was being thoughtful but still sounded like he was scolding.

Nie Asreal shrugged. "No but I wish it had so that I could see what it's reaction to mortal skin is like-"

Nie Yang, "Nie Asreal! Don't say- Sect Leader Yi I heard you yell at him earlier... I apologise if he has been inept in manners towards you."

Yi Lian removed Bai Hua's hands and moved him to the side. "Nothing of the sort Sect Leader Nie. I owe Second Master Nie a great debt so there is no need to worry about his manner."

Nie Asreal side eyed him then looked for his father's reaction.

Nie Yang, "Well then... we must talk before you leave about an important matter."

Yi Lian brought his hands together.

The event ended an hour later. Everyone filed in from the exit of the Evil Peaks, some covered in blood and dirt, others carrying herbs they'd used the time to hunt for instead of taking part in the competition. Yi Lian took pride in his Sect being the cleanest. He spotted Fen Jin, one of his more promising young disciples, ushering the others to come and clean their swords and faces before coming into the dining hall.

Yi Lian sat at the top table with the other Sect Leaders and Nie Yang's sons. Yi Lian sat quietly whilst Bai Hua talked his ear off.

Bai Hua, "So Bai Cong flipped out and just stabbed him. Sigh, so improper. Anyways the girl was returned to the family in the end so all is well. How is the Island?"

Yi Lian sighed and put down his tea. "My Uncle is keeping things steady. He always does the best job. The Sect is a bit more difficult to handle. Some won't come to class no matter how much punishment I give. I just don't wish to deal with those who see so little sense."

Bai Hua nodded. "They're young, they'll see sense eventually."

Yi Lian, "I will ask advice from the elders. It seems they're the only ones thankful my brother isn't in power."

Bai Hua's eyes widened. "We are all very thankful your brother isn't the one in your seat Yi Lian. I can come by to visit if you'd like- That reminds me"

He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat. "May I send some to study with you again? I understand after last time-"

Yi Lian waved him off. "Send them. I will have everything under control by then."

Last year had been chaotic and unfortunately the Bai Sect disciples had been the spark that lit the house on fire. They had angered Zhou Sect disciples, the Yi Sect disciples had tried protecting the Bai Sect disciples but the Nie Sect tried to fight them off. Yi Lian ended up having to send everyone home. It was an event that ended up in everyone losing face.

Those very disciples were in this room with their heads down.

Bai Hua commented, "At least you have some angels."

He leaned in to whisper, "We have the most academically sound for sure."

Yi Lian sighed and raised his teacup to his lips. "Sect Leader Bai forgets Sect Leader Zhou is immortal."

Bai Hua's eyes widened. Immortals could hear a lot more than mortals. He rushed forward to lean over Yi Lian so he could speak to Zhou Chen. "Sect Leader Zhou please take no offence to my babbling! I have no manners really-"

Zhou Chen gave him one look and said nothing.

Bai Hua leaned back and whispered, "I'm dead, I'm dead-"

In his lung across Yi Lian he had knocked Yi Lian's tea from his hand and down himself.

Bai Hua almost shrieked. He grabbed a napkin and started trying to clean it. Yi Lian grabbed his wrist. "You are a Sect Leader, what are you doing?" He whispered harshly. Bai Hua dropped the napkin and lay back in his chair. "This is all too much. I may faint." 

Yi Lian had half a mind to slap him. "Dramatic."

Bai Hua wailed, "I'll pay for it! I'll pay and have someone try wash-"

Yi Lian put a hand over his mouth. He couldn't bear him speaking much longer.

Yi Lian mumbled, "I'm rich, it's fine."

Nie Yang, "Is everything alright with the Sect Leaders?"

Yi Lian turned to look past Zhou Chen who had conveniently leaned back so that they were in full view of Nie Yang.

He retracted his hand and started to dab himself dry. "All is well. Just a small accident."

Nie Yang shook his head. "You two are young but that does not protect a Sect Leader's ability to lose face."

Yi Lian blinked a few times before replying, "Is Sect Leader Nie lecturing the Yi Sect Leader on manners?" It was truly a sight. The Yi sect were known for being respectful, quiet and peaceful cultivators and the Nie Sect was known for the complete opposite.

Nie Yang, "Only advice Sect Leader Yi should keep in mind."

Yi Lian kept eye contact and frowned. He realised the room had quietened.

After a tense minute Nie Asreal spoke, "Father is the one who lacks manners."

Nie Zhou stamped on his foot.

Nie Asreal, "What?! Stamp on me again and I'll throw you and little brother out a window again."

Nie Ezran looked up from his daydreaming. "Why me?"

Nie Asreal, "You exist-"

Nie Yang struck the table with his fist. "Enough! Once the results from today have been read all three of you will go to your rooms."

Nie Ezran put his hands in the air. "Again; why me?!"