Chapter Nine: A Day Wrongly Remembered

Yi Lian stiffened. Today he had brought his sword. He became very aware of that but he still didn't know why anyone would be in the bushes.

Instead of attacking he put a hand over the hilt and advanced closer. The sound continued. Rustle after rustle, maybe some kind of bush demon had come?

Yi Lian thought, "No I don't think Demon bushes exist."

When he was only a step away, hand reached out, something burst out towards him through the darkness.

Yi Lian unsheathed his sword and grabbed ahold of whatever had lunged at him through the bush. He flung it around, up to his body and held his sword to their throat behind them.

Yi Lian, "Who are you?"

He heard a chuckle followed by a sudden feeling of his arm being pulled and twisted. His sword fell from his grip and their positions were revered.

A voice by his ear spoke, "It's me your Highness."

Yi Lian felt a chill run down his spine. "Nie Asreal, why are you here? Did my brother let you off?"

Nie Asreal chuckled, "He told me to stay in the Libary."

Yi Lian's brows furrowed. "Then I think you should go back. My brother is really quite wise, I'm sure it's for your own good-"

Nie Asreal spun Yi Lian around as if they were in a dance with the front of Yi Lian's body pressed up against him. He noticed Yi Lian's blush and smirked.

Nie Asreal, "Your brother is not a nice person your Highness."

Yi Lian gave a confused pout and Nie Asreal suddenly felt his own blush.

Yi Lian, "How can you say that? He is a protector of the people, he loves all, all his work is towards helping other- Why are you laughing?"

Nie Asreal laughed senselessly, grasping onto Yi Lian's arms to steady himself.

Yi Lian grew angry and couldn't escape his grasp so he stamped down hard on his foot. Nie Asreal didn't even flinch, only stopped laughing and pulled him closer.

Nie Asreal said in a rasped voice, "I'm laughing your highness because I cannot fathom how the two of you are related... One so high atop his horse he cannot see who he's trampling on, whilst there is this hidden white rose kept behind the doors of a place that doesn't exist, perfectly content staying away from the outside world... "

Yi Lian whispered, "I don't know what you mean by that..."

Nie Asreal used one hand to tilt his head up to his. He slowly evaluated his face whilst Yi Lian stared wide eyed and lips parted.

Nie Asreal, "Let me show you."

Nie Asreal guided Yi Lian towards the Libary and told him to head down the side passage. This is when Yi Lian's views on his brother shattered into thousands of little pieces. Pieces scattered across the floor so far only divine power could place it back together again.

Yi Lian left with a blank expression, one that would stick. He got to the end of the passage. Nie Asreal was about to speak when Yi Lian's legs gave out. He rushed over to catch and support him.

Nie Asreal stuttered, "Your Highness- Are- are you okay? I'm sorry I didn't know-"

Yi Lian, "Know what? That I was so far deceived? No need to pity me just- Please- please help me back..."

Nie Asreal nodded his head.

They walked up the path and into Yi Lian's cottage. Nie Asreal helped him inside and sat him down. He ducked outside and came back sword in hand and threw it towards Yi Lian.

Yi Lian caught it in a flash.

He coughed, "This is not something to be simply thrown around. One touch and your limbs will freeze until you stop breathing and become a statue."

Nie Asreal, 'Sound beautiful in a murder kind of way."

Yi Lian nodded. Nie Asreal pulled his sleave down but Yi Lian was already on his feet, across the room in seconds, arm in hand.

Nie Asreal paniced, "It's nothing your Highness! Really no worries..."

Yi Lian said tonelessly, "Did he do this to you?"

He was referring to the bruises up his arm. Nie Asreal didn't say anything so Yi Lian pulled up his other sleeve and there were more. He grabbed at his lapel and pulled. Nie Asreal finally came to his senses and grabbed the delicate yet panicked hands and held them by the wrists in front of him.
Nie Asreal said breathlessly, "At least dine with me first."

Yi Lian glared and turned around to leave but Nie Asreal held his wrists firmly.

Nie Asreal, "He did do this to me. What will you do?"

Yi Lian sighed, "I will ask him about it... there might be a reason-"

Nie Asreal pulled him closer so he could look him closely in the eyes. "He pulled me from bed, kicked me in the back, dragged me out of sight then kicked me until I shouted and your going to ask him about it? You just saw him beating another bloody and you think there may be a reason to validate it?"

Yi Lian's vision blurred. "I'm sorry."

His voice cracked, 'I'm so sorry."

Nie Asreal hushed him and pulled him into a hug. He patted his back and held him tight.

Nie Asreal soothed, "I shouldn't have said that. It's not up to you to fix it... I'll see what I can do.

Yi Lian sniffled in his neck and nodded.

---------------

Yi Lian gasped awake, shooting forward and started gasping for air. There were tears down his face, his hair was disheveled, his mind was fogged.

The Nie Asreal in black and gold sat back with a hand to his face, hiding obvious distaste.

People swarmed around Yi Lian again, rearranging his blankets, dabbing his forehead.

Nie Asreal roared, "Enough! Everyone get out!"

Yi Lian shrunk back from the noise. The attendants all ran out of the curtains and a distant door was shut behind them. This left Nie Asreal and Yi Lian in the now quiet room, alone.

Yi Lian looked at the man before him. He didn't know what to do, what to make of it all. It was all too much.

Nie Asreal asked quietly, "Yi Lian, how old are you?"

The question confused him but Yi Lian replied, "Nineteen."

Nie Asreal nodded slowly before standing with a heavy sway. Yi Lian got up with difficulty and reached out to help or steady him but Nie Asreal tensed and froze.

Yi Lian, "What's the matter? I am only helping you stand."

Nie Asreal gulped and placed his hand over his. "This is harder than I thought..."

Yi Lian, "What is? What are you doing to me Nie Asreal? Why am I in this state?" He motioned to his body.

Nie Asreal took a deep breath, "They kept you asleep too long... but I didn't work fast enough... I can't- my apologies sweet Orchid."

Yi Lian gave a confused look but it was immediately replaced by shock. Nie Asreal grabbed his hand tightly and pushed him back against the bed, pinning his arms above him with one hand and trailing a hand down his side with the other.

Nie Asreal, "Nineteen year old Yi Lian was so cute. You blushed so easily, held so much reservation yet you were still so innocent."

Yi Lian squirmed, "What are you talking about- Nie Asreal, please it is not propper for the Sect Leaders Son to act this way-"

There was a sudden hand to his throat.

Nie Asreal whispered, "I am so exhausted Orchid... I hate seeing you sad, why must I see you sad? I'm so... tired."

Yi Lian didn't know what he was talking about but he knew he had to do something.