Epilogue

1 week after Lelouch's death

The trees rustle incredibly softly, their leaves barely scraping together to form wisps of sounds.

The sun beams down gently, her rays reaching out to slowly pull every waking thing into a warm embrace.

Laughter sounds from the houses beside C.C., where she lay on the roof of a straw cart.

They have all split ways.

C.C. will never forget seeing Lelouch's lifeless face as his body was carried down from where it lay in a pool of crimson on the gilded float, pale as drifted snow.

His purple eyes stared dimly at nothing, the two pools of light as if someone blew them out.

His lips were still pulled grimly into that hopeless smile, his last moments one of content at his fate. Blood dripped in trails from where he lay, marking a broken trail along the paved ground.

How wrong it looked, the man who had been on top of the world, his very essence fleeted into the winds beyond, looking so empty, so chillingly gone, that C.C. had to turn away.

Is this really what she had longed for, to be reduced into a motionless corpse? To forever be gone, to take her one chance at life and throw it away?

Lelouch lived for eighteen short years. He breathed and felt and laughed and lived for eighteen painfully short years. He then took a blade and severed his own life in hopes of creating better ones for people all around the world, people he will never meet, people who hate him nonetheless.

C.C. put her hands behind her head, gazing up at the clear blue sky. Lelouch had often looked up, on those dim palace nights, and told her very much how he loved it all.

No one wants to die.

Lelouch died for the world. He died for peace. He died because he very much wanted everyone to be able to have what he never had. Lelouch had spent his whole life reaching blindly for the one thing he gave up his life for, for people whom of which will hate him.

C.C. smiled, feeling the sun warm her cheeks.

Vain as this sounds, Lelouch died for her.

Lelouch wished for a peaceful eternity, and only C.C. will be able to live that long to witness it all.

She had all the time in the world, something Lelouch didn't. Now, soft quiet blankets the Earth, where demonic tendencies once reigned.

Yes, C.C. can now live out her eternity. She can find love, she can explore, she can wonder and hope and dream, because no one will try to fight her.

"Right, Lelouch?"

The clear sky seemed to shine a little brighter at her words, the sun beams radiating a little warmer, the breeze which slipped through the trees whispering a bit louder.

Lelouch has not left C.C. to be alone.

He will be the wind that blows, the streams that run, the flowers which bloom.

For it is his sacrifice that the world has had a chance to return to this peace.

The sky is so beautiful.

It is almost as though Lelouch is right by her side, smiling his wicked smile, daring her to live, pulling C.C. along, to tell her the world is hers and he will always be here.

The cart C.C. rides on goes over a bump, making her scramble up so as not to fall over the edge.

A breeze flit, threatening to pull C.C.'s straw hat off her head. As she held down the rim of the hat, her pink paper crane flew over the edge, carried away by the wind.

C.C. watched as the little dot of color flew wobbly in the air, and she lay back down, laughing.

Yes, Lelouch is very much alive.

Yes, she is very much not alone.