Hour 4

2:41, approximately 20 hours before death

The lake looked very cold in the late September weather, it's sparkling water cold yet inviting.

There were mountains wrapped around this crystal clear body, with the Britannian palace sitting grandly in the distance.

A lush forest wove in and out of the edge of the lake.

C.C. floated among the waves, her green hair blooming on the surface of the sapphire tides. She wore little, save for a white bikini wrapped around her breasts and hips.

Lelouch sat a little ways off, on a rock near the edge of the lapping water, with only the golden tips of his shoes catching the sunlight. He was shirtless, wearing just long silky royal pants and his knee-high boots.

He was in the shade under a fruit tree dripping with ripe flesh.

Lelouch reached up with slender hands, plucking a pear from the lilting branches, scrubbing the skin clean with his pants.

He bit into it, feeling the soft, juicy rind slip down his throat, leaving behind sweet, syrupy goodness.

C.C. was now standing up with her feet on the lake bottom, looking in the direction of Lelouch. When her eyes caught his, she glanced away.

"Say, why won't you get in the water with me? It's lovely in here."

C.C. cupped a handful of water, watching the pearly droplets run through the cracks in her hands back down into the lake.

"I am freezing enough up here." Lelouch finished his pear, tossing the core somewhere onto the ground. He got up from where he sat, and began removing his boots.

After folding up his pants, Lelouch stepped gingerly into the water, grimacing when his toes began to turn numb from the cold.

"I am in shock at how you are swimming in this ice." Lelouch's splashed some water on his face, cleaning up the sticky juice of the fruit. He scrubbed his hands clean, and turned to head back up to the shore.

He would never make it to his destination.

C.C. snuck up not-so-gracefully behind him, and pulled him against her, collapsing both of them into the water.

Lelouch leapt up, spluttering, wrapping both arms tightly around himself, almost forgetting to scowl at C.C.; he was so cold.

"You could've asked!" Lelouch stomped through the waves up to the shore, furious at the way his wet pants clung uncomfortably to his legs.

C.C. laughed, before pulling Lelouch back into the water, watching him brush a hand through his wet hair, and wipe glistening droplets from his eyes. She was going to really get it now, wasn't she.

"There's no fun in asking." C.C. draped an arm over a spluttering Lelouch, preventing him from escaping. "Why ask, when you could just do?"

Dunking her head under the waves, C.C. appeared in front of Lelouch, making him blush when he saw her body.

"Come on, swim with me!" C.C. splashed some water where Lelouch stood, watching him as he shielded his face.

"I hate getting wet!" His fierce tone betrayed the small smile appearing on his face. C.C. sighed.

This was all she wanted, to see Lelouch happy, and smiling.

Forget the save the world business.

Save Lelouch from the world.

Tentative steps began somewhere behind them, and both turned their heads to look in the direction of the woods.

A guard approached, looking a bit scared.

Of course, who wouldn't be?

This was the Emperor and his Empress.

"Your majesty, you have a speech to make in half an hour. Please, we must begin fitting your clothe on and...drying you off."

Lelouch walked onto the shore, feeling the soft sand and occasional rough rocks below his feet. He curled his toes, before bending down to collect his clothe.

"Yes. Of course."

C.C. stood motionless, the only thing moving was her hair in the waves.