Hour 6

4:58, approximately 18 hours before death

It seems as though everyone was afraid of the emperor.

On TV, his name was spoken with caution, like a curse you have to be careful not to butcher.

On the streets, he was referred to in whispers and gossip, the words laced with the fear and terror of saying something wrong.

In every household, every neighborhood, every town, people hated the emperor.

He was a horrible person, a dictator,

power hungry,

greedy,

disgusting.

In the castle, though, the atmosphere was incredibly different.

Maids bowed slightly, if not just a tilt of their head, towards their sovereign. Yet, Lelouch did not mind this at all. He bowed in turn, holding onto his hat so it does not fall.

Imagine! The emperor of the world, smiling at you as he showed you respect!

A good person couldn't possibly be nasty forever.

In the castle, no one was scared of Lelouch.

"Please, sir, do not let Her Grace C.C. into the kitchen anymore. She, unfortunately, has been nothing but a hassle, tasting things before they come out of the oven, imagine! I'm incredibly sorry if it offends you, but it would be greatly appreciated if you could."

"I would love to, Mrs. Jesper. Unfortunately, she listens to no one at all. The stars command her better than me."

Lelouch was helping with dinner, having just come back from shooting a speech to the world. He had looked at the camera and pretended the eyes that stared back at him were those of corpses, no one alive, with the world empty for him to reign. He hoped Rivalz and Milly had no internet as the speech aired.

"Speak of the devil..."

C.C. waltzed into the kitchen, her hair bouncing on her bare back, the black dress she wore sliding across the tiled floor.

She walked right up to Lelouch, leaning forward to inspect what he was making.

"Is this cake batter? And pasta?" C.C.'s eyes scanned over every item laid out on the counter, a sparkle glittering in her pupil. Lelouch set down his whisk. He wrapped his arms around C.C.'s, telling her very sternly:

"There have been complaints. Have you been eating us poor?"

C.C. shrugged Lelouch off, quickly snatching a bite of the now defenseless batter before bouncing away.

"I don't know, you tell me."

The head cook raised her head.

Lelouch sighed, but a grin tugged at the corner of his lips. Unfortunately, he loved that girl.

"What did I tell you, Mrs. Jesper?"