Hour 22

8:45, approximately 2 hours until death

Lelouch wandered the halls of the palace, drifting soundlessly here and there, somehow ending up in the garden, where he sat on the edge of the bubbling fountain, staring at his reflection in the water.

His purple eyes,

white skin,

black hair.

His

sad eyes,

hard heart,

tight mouth.

"Your Majesty, please! You must begin getting ready for the parade!" A butler rushed through the doors leading to the garden, panting, his face red from looking for Lelouch.

Lelouch stood, walking past the butler, smiling, thanking him, before disappearing down the hall again.

He would go get ready, after a quick detour.

The glass hallway.

Lelouch glanced down the long corridor, with splashes of splintered light shining down the smiling faces hung on the walls.

He walked past each person, mourning all who had lost their lives, shunning those who had wanted Lelouch to lose his.

Lelouch trailed a finger down the faces of Euphemia, the first girl he ever loved, and Marianne, whom he now hated. He thought of Nunnally, their blissful childhood, and Milly, Rivalz, Shirley.

Lelouch did this every morning, because he didn't want to forget.

He wanted a future, but not one like this.

Lelouch floated through several more hallways, his mind living in hallucinations of the past, thinking back to his life before.

How he missed it.

Lelouch wondered where his knight had gone, and thought about his empress.