Hour 8

6:54: approximately 16 hours before death

A soft breeze blew effervescently across the lake, playing with the ends of C.C.'s hair and the loose edges of Lelouch's outfit. The air around the two sat still, and the two sat still, except for the ever-rocking boat they sat in, which tossed with the waves.

In front of the them, the sky was beginning to be painted in scarlet, bright, bold strokes slashed like ribbons across the fading light.

It was so beautiful.

C.C. hugged Cheese-kun close to herself, staring with big, yellow eyes at the setting sun.

Beside her, Lelouch watched, transfixed, at the display in front of him.

C.C. always tried to get him to come outside to watch the sunset, but each time he refused. He was a busy man, and the sun would always set tomorrow. Yet, today, C.C. was persistent.

Slowly, the white ball of light faded behind the tall mountains, and a sheen of faded purple graced the sky, seemingly mist, blanketing the heavens.

C.C. looked over, and saw Lelouch, mesmerized, his face wholly focused, his mind for sure wondering something else, the planes of his face outlined in red with the evaporating day, his hair tinged with brown.

And C.C. wanted very desperately to kiss him, for Lelouch was so beautiful right now, so otherworldly, looking so gorgeous it stole her breath away.

He looked over, feeling C.C.'s eyes on him, but she had long already looked away.

"I may come outside every night to look at the sunset with you now." Lelouch sighed, resting his chin on his hand. It was so peaceful, with the cicadas beginning to chirp, and the birds going to sleep, with nothing but the soft breaths of water flowing under them.

"You should."

Above, overhead, shone stars, each one glittering as if talking amongst themselves, and C.C. strained her ears, wanting desperately to hear what they were planning.

If fate was written in the stars, then C.C. wanted to wait for another sunset, to see their plans go up in flames.