Chapter 4

Dedicated to stuffhappens for making the amazing banner on the side!! Thank you!!

-----

Chapter Four

The next day Jane was distracting herself from the shock discovery about Daniel by getting to know her newest nephew. She loved Henry as much as she loved her last four. There was something about the innocent look a baby gave someone that made one feel as though they were the most important person in the world

Henry gurgled as Jane bounced him on her lap. She cradled him in her arms and tickled his stomach to which he let out an adorable laugh. She loved his big brown eyes, they were so full of wonder and the smallest thing made them widen as if they were the most interesting thing in the world. Even though she didn’t desire a husband for herself, she would love a little baby to nurture one day.     

“Who’s a handsome boy, Henry?” Jane cooed.

There was a light knock on the door and Mr Carter cleared his throat. “Ma’am, you have a visitor,” he said formally.

Jane found it humorous that Mr Carter called her ‘ma’am’. He couldn’t call her ‘milady’ as she wasn’t titled so she was called ‘ma’am’ and it made her feel frightfully old.

“A visitor?” she furrowed her eyebrows. She didn’t know anyone on London aside from her family and they all resided in the same house. “Who is it?”

“Lord Southerby, ma’am,” Mr Carter replied. 

Jane’s stomach churned at the thought of seeing the adulterous man. She didn’t want to be rude, but in his presence she wasn’t sure if she could hold her tongue. “Tell him I am not here ... tell him I’ve gone out and won’t be back until dawn ... I don’t know, Mr Carter, you make something up, just make sure he leaves.”

“Miss Alcott,” Mr Carter said awkwardly.

“Miss Alcott, Lord Southerby is standing directly behind Mr Carter and just heard your diversion speech. Lord Southerby also knows you are home,” she heard Daniel call sarcastically from outside the door.

Jane felt as if she would be sick when she heard his voice. She felt embarrassed at her own stupidity but she also felt murderously angry at him. She nodded once to Mr Carter to allow Daniel’s entry.

He entered the room with a solemn expression on his face. His clothes were made of the finest material and she could have sworn that his buttons were real gold. His dark eyes bore into her from the other side of the room. Reluctantly Jane clutched Henry to her chest as she rose to receive him.

“Lord Southerby,” Jane sniffed as she curtseyed out of duty.

“Miss Alcott,” Daniel bowed his head.

“What service may I do of you?” she asked curtly.