Chapter 17

Sorry this chapter is shorter than usual, you'll understand when you get to the end as the next chapter will be a looong one :)

I hope you enjoy!

---

Chapter Seventeen

Jane led two beautiful palomino coloured mares, Freckles, and another chestnut coloured pony out of the stables ready for her trail ride with Emilia, Sabine and Kitty. In her rush she hadn’t changed into more riding appropriate clothing but she honestly didn’t mind riding in one of her feminine gowns if it meant escaping Southerby for awhile.

She stood waiting around the back of the stables so she could not be seen from the house if one was looking for her.

The horses fussed as Jane held their reins closely together so she tried to soothe them as best she could.

She looked up to the sky and let the sun warm her face. It was a lovely temperature, she wished she could lose a layer but to do so would mean she would be riding around in her underclothes and that would be a sight she would want to keep hidden from prying eyes.

About ten minutes later, Emilia and the two girls arrived at the stables. Emilia hadn’t changed her dress but Sabine was wearing her usual riding outfit and Kitty was wearing something similar, no doubt borrowed from Sabine.

Emilia offered Jane a sympathetic look as she led both girls over to the ponies.

“This is Freckles,” Sabine introduced her pony to her new friend. “He likes eating hay. One time he tried to eat Gwenny’s dress but I had to pull it out of his mouth.”

Kitty burst into a fit of giggles as she threw one of her brown braids over her shoulder. “Mama won’t let me and my sisters have horses yet because she says we’re too little. But we are allowed to ride when Miss Church is watching us,” Kitty told Sabine proudly.

Emilia rolled her eyes as she lifted Kitty into the saddle. Kitty shook her hips a few times to get comfortable and she took hold of the reins. Sabine, who was relatively experienced, climbed atop Freckles herself. “I’m going to hold the reins of this pony as we ride; I want you to hold onto the saddle. As I’m leading him you aren’t to kick his sides at all, do you understand me, Catherine?” Emilia asked seriously, taking the reins from Kitty’s hands.

Kitty nodded. “Yes, mama,” she nodded innocently. Jane knew that Kitty understood Emilia’s tone. She liked that none of the children argued when it came to safety precautions.

Jane turned her attention to Sabine. “Are you alright, do you need me to lead Freckles as we ride?” she checked.

Sabine shook her head. “No, I can do it on my own,” she told Jane.

“Alright,” Jane said warily. “But if you need any help or you need us to stop then you must tell us.”