Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

Jane was relieved the next day when her brother and Emilia seemed to be in a better mood. Emilia was no longer throwing Sebastian icy glances and Sebastian was no longer acting terribly towards Daniel. She’d seen him apologise first thing that morning and Daniel hadn’t seemed to be holding a grudge against him which Jane thought was very mature.

It was after luncheon when Emilia pulled Jane aside. She quickly pulled her into the first room that she saw which turned out to be Daniel’s study. “We are sisters,” Emilia began. “And sisters tell each other everything, I should know because my daughters share every thought that passes through their mind. Janey, I’m not blind, what is going on here?”

Jane knew exactly what Emilia was talking about. She had thought she was being subtle, but sometimes her eyes would drift to Daniel without her realising. And Emilia, as astute as she was, noticed. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Em,” Jane lied.   

Emilia rolled her eyes. “Oh please, Jane, I have seen that besotted look on many young girls before. Please, just tell me, does he return your affections?”

Jane’s cheeks reddened. “I’d wager he sees me as but a child. It’s quite embarrassing, really, to be thinking of him in such a way.”

“It isn’t embarrassing; the heart chooses who the heart chooses. I didn’t like Daniel to begin with but I can see he’s really changed. If he made you an offer I would approve most profusely.” Emilia took Jane’s hand and pulled her over to Daniel’s settee and sat down.

“What you speak of sounds so simple, Emilia, but Daniel has scars,” Jane sighed sadly.

“As do I,” Emilia pointed out. “But I managed to overcome my scars, surely he can too.”

Jane resisted telling Emilia that his scars were internal and somewhat worse. Emilia had endured horrible traumas in her time and Jane had no idea what it was like for her, but Emilia had never lost someone that she’d loved. “He could never love another like he loved his wife,” Jane sighed. “And I will not settle for anything less than I deserve. I should like a man like papa, he used to come home with flowers for mama and kiss her cheek. I want someone to love me without reservation ... and to be honest I don’t think that Daniel will ever truly move on from his wife.”

“We all move on from death eventually. He will when he’s ready to, and I can practically guarantee that he will see what a wonderful woman he has right in front of him when he does,” Emilia promised. She took Jane’s hand in hers and squeezed it. “You do not mind being a mother to a child that is not your own?” she asked and raised her eyebrows.

Jane smiled at Emilia. “That is something that I am not afraid of. Sabine is a beautiful girl, inside and out. I’ve only known her a short while but I feel really attached to her. When I leave I know I will miss her terribly, as much as I will miss her father.”

“It’s unconditional love between a parent and a child. From what I’ve seen they get to about eight or nine before they start to feel like adults and don’t want to play with their parents anymore. You’ve got to savour the unconditional love before you have to work for it,” Emilia sighed and leaned back into the settee. “Right now when I walk into a room they jump in my arms and I love it. I don’t want it to ever change but I know it will. If you could ever have that feeling, Janey, it would seriously make you feel complete.”