Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

Daniel knew that Sebastian would not be too impressed with his inviting Jane to stay at Southerby. Even though she could make her own decisions, she was still in his care for the summer and he had undermined him.

While the children were playing above stairs with Sabine, the adults were invited downstairs for an informal tea before mealtime that evening. When seated he noticed that both Emilia and Sebastian had changed out of their travelling clothes into a navy suit and a cream dress. Emilia had put Henry down for a nap.

Emilia had a strange expression on her face. She looked uncomfortable sitting next to her husband, yet she looked quizzical when her eyes travelled between himself and Jane. He believed that Emilia and Sebastian had had an argument in their bedchamber regarding his uncouth behaviour when they were greeted.

Daniel sat beside Jane on the settee opposite her brother and sister – in – law but remained an appropriate distance apart.

“How was the trip?” Jane asked, hoping to break the tension.

Sebastian’s blue eyes that mirrored Jane’s wise yet innocent ones flashed to his. “Fine, Jane,” he replied bluntly, his eyes not moving from Daniel.

Emilia rolled her eyes, annoyed. “More importantly, Janey, how has your stay been?” she asked in a kinder tone.

“It’s been wonderful,” Jane replied. “I much prefer the countryside to London.”

“Lord Southerby,” Sebastian said almost darkly. “It is traditional for members of the ton to have a collection of their favourite whiskeys hidden away. Might you show me yours; I would love to see it.”

Daniel pursed his lips and nodded. This was what Sebastian wanted, time alone to tell him to ask his sister to leave. It was also Daniel’s opportunity to tell Sebastian of his honest intentions. “Of course, I have a few of my favourites in my study,” he replied, standing from the settee. “If you’ll follow me.”

The two men walked in silence to Daniel’s study. Once the door was closed behind them Sebastian spoke.

“I trust you know that I’m not interested in your whiskey collection,” Sebastian said sternly.

“I had guessed as much,” Daniel replied carefully.

“My sister is naïve, Lord Southerby. She probably thinks she’s here as your friend and as a maternal figure for your daughter but I know better. You need to do the honourable thing and ask her to leave while her innocence is still intact,” Sebastian seethed.

Daniel took a deep breath before defending himself. “You do not give Jane the credit she deserves. She is not naïve; she is in fact very wise and knowledgeable.”

Sebastian’s eyes narrowed. “Have you compromised her? You have, haven’t you! You bastard!” he spat. His fists clenched as he prepared to fight Daniel.