Chapter 5

Chapter Five

It had taken Jane the entire following day to get up the courage to even entertain the thought of calling on Daniel, and another day to think about what she was to say to him. Emilia had seen Jane’s nervousness etched all over her face so she had given her the children and Henry’s baby carriage and pointed her in the direction of Hyde Park to relax a little. Jane was sure her ulterior motive was that of some time alone with Sebastian but she didn’t say anything.

She pushed Henry’s baby carriage along while keeping a careful eye on the elder four. The twins especially had a reputation for running off.

When they arrived at the park Jane found a nice, wide grassy area where she would be able to sit with Henry and watch the children with ease. She sat down next to Henry’s carriage and rocked it back and forth to keep him soothed. She watched the four in awe. They each had such personalities.

The twins were of course the leaders. James was a tease; he enjoyed getting a rise out of another if his cheeky grin had anything to do with it. Kitty was just as bad as he was; she was going to be a very confident young lady when it came time for her first season.  

Jane worried about Little J. She was very intelligent, even for a three year old. Her reading and writing skills were well beyond those the same age as her and she always had something enchanting to say. It was just a complete shame that she was born into a world where women were laughed at for wanting to further their education.

Jane also hoped Annie’s timidness was because her older brother and sister were so outspoken. She hoped that she gained some confidence before she was launched on society because she was a precious little thing.

She watched as Kitty and James chased each other and Little J and Annie watched them giggling.

Jane turned to Henry who was napping in his baby carriage. “You’ve got quite comical siblings, Henry,” she smiled.

Her head spun around when she heard a twig snap. She saw Daniel quickly walking in the opposite direction to where she was sitting. He’d obviously seen her and wanted to get as far away from her as possible. It was now or never. She wouldn’t have anyone avoiding her, she’d never had anyone hate her before in her life.

“Children!” she called out to her nieces and nephews. “Come here and stay with your brother where I can see you!” she motioned for them to come closer. They quickly obeyed and raced over to Henry’s carriage.

Jane made her move to go after Daniel whilst still keeping her eye on her nieces and nephews. “Lord Southerby!” she called out before stealing another glance over her shoulder to make sure all five were still staying put.

Daniel’s back stiffened as he heard her calling his name. He slowly turned around and looked at her sadly. His mother was still downturned in a grimace but his dark eyes were not angry, just defeated. “Yes, Miss Alcott?” he sighed.

“I ... I wanted to apologise,” she stammered nervously.