Chapter 7

Dedicated to Kassilassie for being such an awesome person :) I wish you, me and Aivy (stuffhappens) all lived on the same continent so we could go shopping and have a gossip session :) xo

-----

Chapter Seven

As soon as Jane had arrived home Emilia had pounce on her. Not only was she berated with questions on her whereabouts as Emilia sat her in front of the dressing mirror in her bedchamber but she was also drowned in information about Mr George Orwell, the man to inherit the dukedom of Chatsworth.

As Jane told Emilia that nothing had occurred on her walk she had to listen to Emilia’s praises of Mr Orwell’s character as her hair was pulled in every possible direction with a comb. Ever since marrying Emilia’s confidence had risen above and beyond anything that Jane would have expected. She was extremely happy for her sister – in – law. She deserved eternal happiness.

“Mr Orwell is such a gentleman,” Emilia exclaimed as she tried to detangle Jane’s mess of dark curls. “Such good manners,” she continued. “I danced with him a couple of times when he first came to town.”

Sebastian came in the bedchamber that moment with a grimace on his face. “He liked dancing with you a lot more than you liked dancing with him,” he said slightly angrily. He stood behind his wife and placed his hands on her shoulders as she worked on Jane’s hair.

“You don’t like the way Mr Carter looks at me, darling, you really are a jealous one, aren’t you?” Emilia winked at her husband through her reflection in the mirror.

Sebastian kissed the back of Emilia’s head and rubbed his hands up the sides of her arms. “I know, I’m jealous, but I like knowing that all they can do is look at you when I actually got to marry you.”

Emilia blushed slightly. “You are charming,” she smiled. “Can you ring the bell for Genevieve? My talents don’t exactly extend to hair styling,” she laughed at herself as she lifted a piece of Jane’s hair up.

Sebastian rolled his eyes as he walked over to the side of their bed and pulled the bell rope. He left the room to lock himself in his study, as Emilia had said, until it was time to leave for the military salute.

Genevieve walked in the room after a few minutes and curtseyed to Emilia and Jane. Genevieve had been hired after Kassandra had left to start her family with Peter. She’d remembered Emilia writing to tell her about Genevieve. She’d studied hair design in Paris and she spoke three languages and she was talented at both dress making and millinery. She was a pretty girl, couldn’t be anymore that two and twenty with soft red curls and lovely, almond shaped green eyes. Jane thought she was nice enough but she would always prefer Kassandra. She’d have to remember to stop in at their farm in Nottingham on her way back to Yorkshire. The thought of their home in Nottingham reminded her of somebody else who also had a home in Nottingham.

“You rang, milady?” Genevieve knitted her fingers together as she surveyed what Emilia was doing to Jane’s hair.