Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

The stables weren’t what Jane was used to. Truthfully she was expecting a wooden barn much similar to the one she had at home, but she was wrong. She should’ve expected the beautiful white barn with the perfectly groomed stallion’s heads hanging out of each individual stall.

She couldn’t believe how perfect Southerby and its grounds were. It would have been a dream growing up at Southerby House. She immediately regretted the thought as she began to think about Sabine. She most likely didn’t like growing up at Southerby, or she wouldn’t remember her childhood fondly because of it when she was grown.

Daniel led her inside the main entrance of the stables confidently. He was a completely changed man from the one that had divulged to her his most intimate thoughts. But she still wasn’t convinced that he was healed, he was still hurting, even if he was trying to be strong for Sabine.

They came to the last stall in which a blonde little girl was standing on a wooden stool, similar to the one she used to sit on to milk Daisy, brushing down a small, spotted pony.

“Sabine,” Daniel cleared his throat and she immediately turned around. As Daniel opened the stall door she noticed that Sabine was not alone in the stall, and older, sour looking woman was standing in the corner watching Sabine like a hawk. Jane concluded that she was Miss Porter, Sabine’s governess.

Jane noticed that Sabine was not brushing her pony correctly but she didn’t want to correct her when they hadn’t even been introduced. Sabine watched Jane cautiously as they both walked into the straw covered stall.

The pony snorted and shook his head. He was very pretty. His coat was a lovely cream colour with brown spots covering his back.

“Sabine, this is a friend of mine, Miss Jane, she will be staying at Southerby House for awhile, Jane, this is my daughter Lady Sabine,” Daniel introduced.

Sabine stepped down off the stool and came over to curtsey to Jane. Jane did so too. She thought Sabine was a very attractive child. She would grow up to be very beautiful. Her hair was a lovely golden colour and her eyes were the exact same brilliant blue as her mother’s in the portrait. She was wearing a smart, navy riding coat and cream coloured slacks. Her little black boots came up to knee height and they were slightly muddy. “It’s nice to meet you,” she said quietly.

“You too, Lady Sabine, I’ve heard so many wonderful things about you,” Jane smiled encouragingly. She didn’t want her to be timid around her. “I like your pony,” she said, trying to make her feel a little more comfortable.

Jane liked horse riding, she often did it in her spare time at the farm though not side saddle like a lady was supposed to, instead she rode like a man as it was easier.

Sabine smiled and rubbed her pony’s forehead. “His name is Freckles,” she replied.

“When I was younger I had a horse that was called ‘Donkey’,” she laughed, recalling her horse. He couldn’t be tamed, but that was thanks to Sebastian who let him get away with everything. Her mother had gotten the horse for her and Sebastian as company just after their father passed away.