Chapter 24

Chapter Twenty – Four

Emilia had had enough. She was not going to sit idly by when two people who were so completely perfect for each other tip toed out of each other’s lives.

Jane’s memories were coming back; she had experienced some sort of flashback on the stairs so it meant that certain places, words, events and people could trigger the memories. Jane had remembered their conversation in Daniel’s study and she now knew how she felt about the Earl. It was now or never in Emilia’s mind.

She practically flew down the stairs back to where the rest of their party was configured in the dining room. The footmen had begun laying out a splendid breakfast but she wasn’t interested in eating.

Both Daniel and Sebastian stood as she entered the room but she set her eyes on Daniel.

“Em, are you alright? You look flushed,” Sebastian asked but Emilia didn’t answer him.

“You,” she practically growled as she walked up to Daniel. “You love her, do you not?” she demanded to know, regardless of her youthful audience. All of her children, bar Henry, and Sabine were all in the room staring at the spectacle that their mother was making.

Daniel furrowed his eyebrows. “I don’t see how it is any of you business, Lady Ethridge,” he said formally, though she could tell that her sudden question embarrassed him.

“Of course it is my business,” Emilia snapped. “We all love Jane, she is a sister, a daughter and an aunt to all of us, and we want to know what you plan to do about your affections!” she exclaimed.

Daniel’s dark brown eyes narrowed on her, and she felt slightly intimidated. “What do you expect me to do?” he challenged. “She doesn’t remember me. All she probably thinks now is that some old gentleman watches her every move.”

Emilia scoffed. “Then clearly you do not know our Jane. She is recalling things, as we were walking up the stairs she remembered quite an integral conversation that is important to your endeavour to secure her hand. She remembered the conversation that I am sure you overheard.”

Daniel’s eyes widened. “She did?” he asked.

“She did,” Emilia confirmed.

“What conversation?” Catherine demanded to know.

Emilia could tell that not one of the children had any idea of what the adults were talking about.

“Come with me,” Daniel instructed as he took Emilia’s hand and quickly took her from the dining room. He led her down the hallway and into a door that she had never noticed before. It was the same colour as the wall and it completely blended in. He opened it up and led her inside a narrow hallway that had several sets of staircases. Emilia realised it was the servants passage ways. He made sure that nobody was around before he spoke again. “You are absolutely sure?”

Emilia nodded. “She told me as much,” she replied. “She remembers how she feels about you, but she thinks that she has to leave, because of your wife. She told me in that conversation that she could not be second best, she wanted to be loved completely and she thought that you would never get past your wife. She thinks she must leave.”

Daniel’s face looked pained. “That is not true at all. It took this accident for me to know what I want and what I deserve. Eleanor would not want me to marinate in my own misery for the rest of my life.”

Emilia let out a frustrated sigh. “It should not be me that you tell this to,” she scolded. She wished men weren’t so blind. “You could string this out for months or years, or you could go upstairs and just tell her. She will leave and she will move on. She’ll marry another and you’ll both be miserable for the rest of your lives!”