ONE

My nose pressed against the cold glass pane, watching as the fields that were once filled with such life and vibrancy, fresh green grass and over-sized sunflowers turned into open brown spaces, nothing but mud hills and trenches

We were miles away from civilization and yet the wheels of the car kept turning, taking us further and further into the abyss.

"Shall we make an entrance Harper?"

I pulled my gloomy eyes away from the window and stared at my uncle in his rear view mirror.

There was a hint of amusement playing on his face, he was enjoying this - my suffering. I narrowed my eyes and kept my lips straight, not adding to his satisfaction with a reaction.

He, however took my silence as a yes.

Within seconds his finger had flipped the switch located on his dashboard and the car came alive, thundering my ear drums with loud siren sounds.

My gaze diverted away from his vibrating laughter and focused back on the road. This time against the bleak tarmac floor flashed the reflection of a continuous blue light, it followed us all the way to the Bootcamp.

As my uncle drove along a dirt road we past by a troop marching in a straight line. Not a single body was out of place, not even slightly. The pack remained tight and uniformed. I cowered down in the back seat of the patrol car, but my uncle purposely slowed down just to take a good look.

"Jesus Harper, you got yourself in a right pickle here. There's no way you're gonna survive this. You will end up in prison in no time." My uncle clearly had no qualms expressing his opinions and inner doubts.

He pulled up next to two men, one of them was fairly aged but you could clearly see his physical fitness was intact.

The other seemed around my age, perhaps a little older but again his whole body screamed that he was athletic.

Both men were dressed the same, green camouflage trousers, a muscle tight green T-shirt and tan boots.

My uncle released the lock on my door and pulled it open for me to step out of. I fumbled to my feet and stood staring at the older guy who appeared powerful enough to be in charge.

"Harper Williams, newest recruit." My uncle said, shaking the hands of both men.

The older man circled around me, he looked me up and down, all around before returning to his place at the front location.

His hair was grey and short, combed back to sit exactly in place, his features were sharp and his scowl seemed permanent.

He radiated power and authority, his dark eyes ceasing of all humanity. His demeanor alone probably had grown men crying.