Thirteen

I decided not to tell anyone about my pending departure and just came back, lay in bed and fell asleep until morning

I forced myself into a cold shower, not feeling brave enough to risk a warm one in the staff quarters again and I swallowed down a fairly brown looking banana which was actually one of the better meal choices on this whole bootcamp campus.

At exactly five hundred hours my boots were digging into the dirt of the field and Axel was assessing my uniform in the same way he does every morning. It felt strange knowing tomorrow morning would be different. I would likely be sat at the back of my uncles cop car, handcuffed and shitting myself for what was about to come next.

This was my last day of freedom and I was here getting judged by the one reason I was even getting sent away in the first place. Yet I couldn't be bitter, he had given me multiple chances but I messed up each and every one of them.

He had us March for half an hour, chanting to us as we moved our feet over wet dirt and uneven ground. I noted Nate staring at me from across the way and I wanted to go and tell him the outcome of the ring but because he was much taller than me he was placed on another line.

Soon enough Axel began shouting orders for the obstacle course.

I used my arm strength to pull myself up a ten foot fence and then dropped to the other side, I ran dodging out of the way of used car tires, I crawled under barbed wire that nicked at my clothing, I rolled around in wet mud like a pig and I climbed up a single thread of rope, ringing a bell at the top before jumping back down.

My body was cold with sweat, my lungs desperately clung for air and my palms were red with the friction burns of the ropes. Just when I thought it was over Axel shouted for everyone to run forty laps of the track.

"What happened?" Nate deliberately ran slower so that he could jog beside me.

"I'm getting shipped off tomorrow morning." I informed him with a regretful tone.

"Shit Harper, that sucks." He said softly.

"Thompson, Williams you both just earned yourselves ten extra laps." Axel shouted. I rolled my eyes, wiping the sweat off my forehead but continued running. "Gibbins ten extra laps. Pick up the pace Michaels." Axel shouted again.

"Damn he's in a bad mood today." Nicole whispered to Nate and I.

"Seems pretty normal to me." Nate replied.

"You know what he needs? A good fuck." Nicole joked. We burst out laughing and Axel stormed over to us.

"Drop and give me twenty!" We fell to the floor, struggling to do the push-ups after the obstacle course and track running. Today's bootcamp was horrific.

***

"So guys, I'm leaving tomorrow. I broke too many rules and this is my last night of freedom." The whole of my dorm stopped what they were doing and looked directly at me.