THREE

I wish I could say I was blissfully warm and highly comfortable but that would be a grave lie

My bed itched my body to shreds and the springs of my mattress dug into my back. Nevertheless when the alarms started ringing out like an air raid siren my eyes opened wide and I jolted upright in my bed.

"Are we under attack?" I screeched frantically.

Holly laughed as she rubbed her tired eyes. "It's four AM, first light and our turn to shower. You better hurry up, you get five minutes to shower and wash before we need to vacate and be on the field." She grabbed her shower caddy from the side and made her way towards the door.

Four o'clock in the morning! What is this insanity? Why would anyone wake up at this time willingly?

I let my feet hit the floor and I gathered up my clothes, towel and my own shower caddy. Slowly making my way to the shower block.

A line of my roommates stood outside and I dragged my fatigued self to the back of the line, waiting patiently for my turn.

The shower room was tiny, three brick cubicles with a moldy blue shower curtain across the front of each one.

I stepped inside, really conscious of my bare feet standing on a floor that probably wasn't highly hygienic then I turned the silver shower knob allowing the water to trickle down.

"Fuck!" I shouted, darting out the way of the running water and falling backwards into the curtain.

"Yeah, it's cold." Holly laughed.

"Cold? It's freaking ice water!" I stepped back behind the curtain, concealing my nakedness from the other girls and it took me a few seconds to pluck up the courage to step beneath the water again.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god." I chanted to myself as I washed my body at super speed. I decided not to wash my hair. It didn't need it and I couldn't bare the water on my skin.

I stepped out, wrapping the towel around myself. Another girl occupied the shower right after me and I dressed with chattering teeth and a shivering body.

It wasn't long before I had consumed a single apple and was waiting on a muddy field with the rest of the recruits.

There were hundreds of them, all standing up straight in a line, staring straight ahead. It was a mixed gender group and I noted some of the guys checking me out but then I can't say my own eyes didn't wander either.

"Attention" Lieutenant Hotty called out from the front. The lines of people stood straighter and brought their arms up into a salute.

I copied them, probably not performing it as well as them. He walked in between each row, halting at each person to look down at their uniform.

Then he got to me and slowly I brought my eyes up to meet his. It was almost miss-able but his whole body froze and his eyes widened a few millimetres.