Seventeen

I stood in line with the rest of the recruits as Axel and the many privates paired off the troops in accordance to size and/or ability

I was getting impatient and couldn't refrain from dishing out the odd sigh here and there. Two by two people around me disappeared until I was left standing alone.

"Ahh, Williams." Axel said, looking over his charts God only knows why since it was plain to see I was the only one left unpartnered. "We seem to be oddly numbered. That is a conundrum."

"I could partner with her Lieutenant Sir." One of the privates offered. Axel glanced at him.

"No need Private. I suppose this will be a good chance for me to flourish her skills. She needs a lot of work."

I pursed my lips.

Don't answer back.
Don't answer back.
Don't answer back.

I didn't miss the amused twitch on Axels lips.

"Left, right left, left, right left!" Axel called out, indicating for me to March. I stepped in line beside him marching straight towards the lake. Once we were out of sight of the privates I stopped marching and just walked by his side. "Did I tell you to stop marching solider?" He asked in his normal voice.

"No but apparently I need a lot of work." I replied sarcastically.

He spluttered a laugh out loud. "Get in the raft dummy." He pointed towards a small, orange two-man boat that floated on the river. I didn't have much confidence in it but I stepped in and cautiously positioned myself on one of the seats. He climbed in opposite me.

"I can't believe I got stuck with you. I bet everyone else is just sunbathing on the bank. You're actually making me get into this death trap and float up the river."

"You will be rewarded by improved fitness and harnessed skill." He said with a shy smile, that sweet blush peppering up his neck until it reached the tips of his ears.

"I would rather be rewarded with a golden tan." He picked up the ore and handed me one, rowing up the river. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it and my arm ached but thanks to his strength we actually moved at a decent speed.

"Uh, Axel?" He looked over to me, looking relaxed and carefree. His dark blonde hair blowing in the wind and his eyes almost seeming golden in the sun.

"Shouldn't the water be outside the boat?" I splashed in the growing puddle that surrounded my feet. His eyes looked down at the floor and suddenly he wasn't so carefree anymore.

"Shit." He muttered under his breath, looking around for the source of the puncture.

I could physically feel the raft sinking into the water as more and more water gathered inside. Then the thrust of the water overpowered the boat tipping us into the lake completely. I rose to the surface and coughed out the water that invaded my lungs.