Nine

I want to claim that I'm getting used to these early morning starts but I'm not

I want to claim that I'm getting used to these early morning starts but I'm not. To be out on the field at five AM has to be a crime worse than most of these criminals even committed. But today was different, I was on my best behaviour.

I couldn't say for certain how long that would last but I'm going to give it a good go.

"We're breaking off into smaller groups today,  heading out to the woodland and building a raft. It must be strong enough to hold four people and you will be testing them out on the lake. Check your groups with private Baldwin" Axel called off with maximum disinterest.

So far today I've managed to behave myself enough to not get any punishments. It hasn't been that hard surprisingly, I just keep myself off his radar.

"You're with me Harp" Nicole exclaimed excitedly. It was merely minutes later when we were joined by two male recruits who introduced themselves as Trevor and Nate.

I instantly warmed up to Nate, he laughed at everything and was easy conversation. Trevor on the other hand kind of reminded me of a hillbilly serial killer so I was wary for sure.

Nate was one of those men with a goofy smile constantly on his face. I suppose in high school he would've been deemed as the class clown. He had the potential to be unattractive but boot camp turned even the nerdiest of people into hunks. All this physical training makes our bodies sculpted into a bodybuilders dream.

Trevor on the other hand seemed darker, his eyes were empty, void of any compassion - just like a psychopath. His manner was quiet, keeping within himself but what little comments he made seemed well thought out and were spoken with a cunning tone.

"We will collect these logs and attach them together." Nate told us, pointing at heavy logs on the ground.

"Won't they be too heavy, I think they might sink." I tried to lift one but I couldn't even half raise it from the ground. Nate laughed at me.

"Worse that will happen is we all go for a swim. Besides boats are heavy and they float, it's all about spreading the mass out on the surface so the water becomes heavier than the raft."

He lifted the log and slung it over his shoulder. I followed close behind worried incase he dropped it and injured himself but to be perfectly honest he seemed to be carrying it with ease.

Trevor also grabbed one and followed us towards the river but Nicole didn't even attempt to help.

"Okay fine but I don't want to go for a swim so you better be right." A huge mischievous smile appeared on his face and he dropped the log. I backed away from him slowly, knowing his motives.

"Nate, no." I laughed and ran.

He chased me, but I placed myself behind a tree, peeking out from the side. He hovered in front of the tree trying to guess which way I was likely to run next.