Twelve

I eyed up the lock on his shed, also keeping a look out for anyone passing by

I eyed up the lock on his shed, also keeping a look out for anyone passing by. It was risky, this was the first time I had been on this side of the hedge in broad daylight.

On a whim I pulled on the handle and the door appeared unlocked so I pushed it open, quickly stepping inside and closing the door behind me.

"What the fuck?" Axels voice exclaimed from behind me. I closed my eyes, soaking in the regret. Then slowly I turned to face him.

He was sat on a brown leather sofa in front of a television with a remote in his hand.

I blinked at the sight, it was strange because it looked so normal.

He stood up and walked over to his window, peering out and turning his head to the left and right, checking all directions of his street. Then he took my hand and pulled me into the middle of the room.

Although his living quarters were minimal they seemed like a palace compared to mine. He had a double bed against the far back wall, it was dressed in a powder blue, buffalo check duvet and had a pine frame. He had three kitchen units to the left which contained a sink, microwave and a coffee machine as well as a small fridge freezer. Then there was a three seater sofa positioned in front of a vintage box tv.

"You were in the cafeteria." I pointed out weakly.

His eyebrows soared and anger illuminated his face.

"I haven't been in the cafeteria for half an hour. But clearly you wanted my place empty so what the fuck are you doing here Harper?"

He folded his arms across his strong chest and narrowed his eyes at me. I looked down, casting my eyes on his boots and straightened my posture out.

"Apologies Lieutenant Sir. I made a mistake." I said with confidence, exactly how he likes it.

"This is one hell of a mistake."

Shit.

"Permission to speak Lieutenant?"

He laughed.

The sound of his amusement spread around the wooden walls of his living space. They traveled through my body, wrapping around me like a hug and gave a diligent squeeze.

Then he remembered himself and stopped laughing, reining back in all of his professionalism.

I kept my eyes down and my posture as straight as a soldier. I'm going to get into so much trouble for this, there's only so many times I can avoid being sent away. I was gone this time, for sure.

"Why are you being weird?" He asked, I lifted my gaze up to look at him. His eyes looked the exact colour of the perfect snack with hues of caramel and cocoa, I wondered if he was just as sweet underneath the resistant front that he wears.

"Isn't that how you like to be addressed?" I questioned with a confused tone.

"No." He said sharply. "Yes." He counteracted. "Since when have you ever stuck to the rules?" He finally landed on.