8.1 Ally

On the western hilltop, although still held by the Tainish, the casualties had been substantial- substantially more than commandaire Snowberry had predicted at least. Their arsenal had also been depleted, and arrows were getting to be in short supply. In some ways, it did not pose a problem that many of the longbows had broken, since the archers to shoot them had suffered. They were in desperate need of reinforcements, allegedly on their way. The eastern hilltop was in a similar situation. The commandaire seemed to become increasingly agitated, Ally thought, though she would never admit that the general situation was not going their way.
"Touch and go, touch and go," she heard her superior mutter as she paced up and down. "They are certainly well protected, well-prepared," Ally had heard the commandaire share this opinion on several occasions. "We cannot allow them to get through!" It was if she was giving herself her own pep-talk. She stopped, swallowed, and resumed her pacing. "Where is my water gourd?" But instead she reached for her field lenses, taking another look at the field. "We have to do something. Or we will lose the hills, I am certain of it. They are just going to wait until our archers are spent, then they'll bring the supplies through. It doesn't look like our reinforcements will be here in time."
"What do you suggest instead, commandaire?" It was Heathtree who spoke.
"I don't know, any ideas? Anyone? What'll she expect us to do?" Silence.
"Exactly what we are doing," Ally mumbled.
"What was that? Speak up, combattant," she said peevishly.
"I said I think that she'll be expecting us to wait, hold on for reinforcement, and as soon as she finds a weakened spot, that's when they'll break through,"
"Exactly," the commandaire resumed her pacing.
Someone cleared their throat. "I think you might be wrong." Heathtree spoke again, "about the rebel leader holding up the supply train I mean, she's not going to give enough time for reinforcements to come. She knows she's in for it then."
"Well your observation doesn't change anything, doesn't suggest we should change anything from what we are doing now. But thanks." Nobody else spoke. There had been no word of when the reinforcements would come through- the most recent information had simply been that they were on their way. The commandaire had spoken absentmindedly, as she tended to do when she was under duress, about her mistake in not bringing a bigger force with her and of being guilty of underestimating her opponent. She had made a grave error. And she was at risk of losing her daughter for it. And many others too for that matter. Once or twice Ally had noticed that she looked as if she might cry, and she would turn her back on whoever she was with then, take a couple of deep breaths and turn back. Another time she had a coughing fit before turning back.
"In the name of the spirits, does nobody have anything? Even if it's bad, I'll tell you so, but I would like to hear it anyway." Still nobody spoke.
Ally inhaled deeply. "There are two courses of action as I see it," she paused, waiting for permission to continue,
"which are?" That was her invitation to speak.
"We withdraw-"
"Not an option," Ally knew that would be the response, so she continued as if it hadn't been said, "or we march on the train rather than wait for it to come into the pass. We keep minimal forces on the hills to prevent or at least manage an attack on the rear and concentrate the rest on a land battle. If we can move on the supply train quickly, and at night, the rebel forces might not even realize our hill positions are weakened until it's too late. Especially if we light fires along the base. And then we would just turn around and regain the hills. If reinforcements arrive, they could either be sent down to join us in the valley, or strengthen our hill top positions," Ally finished, a little breathless. The tent was silent, and she waited for the response.
"Finally, some excellent sense. From a greenie too. What say you to this?" Others nodded, but still no one spoke, nor wanting to be held responsible in the event the plan failed. "So that's our plan then, and not a moment to lose enacting it," she said, moving over to the work table which had the maps on it.

During the afternoon, some reinforcements straggled in, so they too were added to the planning along with what weapons they brought with them. Spirits rose. And news arrived that a force would arrive that very evening, so Commandaire Snowberry planned for them to remain on the hilltops, and a slightly larger company would move into the valley. Spirits rose even higher, and then were slightly dampened when news arrived that rebel forces had already left Chevelles are were in the vicinity, and the supplies too. Another night and it would be too late. The timing was good but the supply train, spotted as the light began to fade, was larger than expected- more foot combattants, more horses and wagons than the plan had allowed for.

Several hours later, the supply train was fighting its way through the valley, and taking ground too even though the losses seemed to be even more than commandaire Snowberry had predicted. Ally was watching the fighting through lenses, but could not see much. A rebel force had begun to advance towards the column, and even they were also suffering losses from the hilltops, "there is not too much ground to cover between them." She commented, automatically ducking as the whine of an arrow was heard overhead. "Heathtree!" The commander yelled, "you're going to lead a company down to flank those who have come in the valley! Light the fires too."
"I'd love nothing more," her reply came, but the tone suggested there was nothing that could be even further from the truth.