Chapter 3 Funeral

April 14th was my parent's funeral. I was having a hard time getting ready. I didn't know what to wear or what to say to people. I was standing at my window in my robe watching the rain. Rain was perfect for a funeral, sad, dreary, just like me. I wanted to skip this part and just hide out in the hospital with my sister but Nanette said I needed this and it would help me. There was a knock on the door it was my aunt. She didn't open the door just spoke through it.

"Are you ready?"

"Almost" I replied I had no Idea what to put on, what was appropriate, so I ended up putting on the dress my mom had just gotten me; It was a knee length dark blue. I looked in the mirror and went with no makeup, I didn't have water proof and I really didn't think it would help anyway. My face was pale and my eyes were swollen; you think I wouldn't have anymore tears left. I left my hair down; I wasn't in the mood to mess with it.

I went down stairs and we head to the waiting car. It was a 40 min drive to the funeral home, then an hour long service; then the drive to the cemetery. Aunt Nanette just held my hand we were both too sad to talk. Lots of people spoke about my parents, how special they were how loving they were and how they were always there for others; they would be missed.

We followed the hearse to the gravesite. More words were spoken by my dad's bishop and a final prayer. I looked around for the first time and saw how many people were there. I was shocked that my parents knew that many people. Several of them walked by and hugged us; some asked about my sister, others offered prayers and words of comfort. After 40 minutes I wanted to run away, I started to fidget; Aunt Nanette squeezed my hand,

"Let's go home." she whispered.

As we walked back to the car I saw 4 very beautiful people; 2 men and 2 women talking to a Native man. I knew instantly that was my biological father. I had stopped walking; the 4 were so beautiful they almost looked like they were glowing. Nanette looked to see what was holding me up.

"I wasn't sure they were going to show, I should have told you."

I knew she wasn't talking about the 4 pale strangers.

"It's ok; I have to meet them at some point."

I caught the eyes of the tall beautiful male who was holding hands with a really short pale girl. She didn't look to be older than me but I knew she had to be. He nodded to me and smiled and turned back to the conversation. I got into the car and we drove home. I was in a rush now.

I wanted to go be with my sister, she was all I could think about. She has been getting better, she was off the ventilator as of last night and she was moving around in her sleep. I wanted to be there when she woke up. We pulled up to the house and I jumped out and headed to my room. I pulled on jeans and a t-shirt, sox and my boots. I grabbed my keys and bag; I made it to the front door when my aunt stopped me.

"You can't leave yet."

My shoulders sagged. I turned around,

"And why not?"

"Harry and Sue will be here in a bit; they would like to talk to you."

"Do we have to do this now?" I tossed my stuff on the couch and stomped my foot.

"I just want to be with Melinda."

Nanette was shaking her head and nodded towards the living room behind me. We both watched as the couch and all my mom trinkets floated around the room.

"I hate to see things when you are really mad."

She smiled and handed me my water bottle. I took a deep breath and concentrated on each object to get them down without breaking anything. It took me a bit and I broke crystal.

I sat down and drank my water.

"When I get really mad I start to shake and everything gets blurry."

"I am sorry to keep you from Melinda but we need to get a couple of things sorted."

I nodded and kicked off my boots. I called the hospital to check on Melinda and told them I would be there soon.

I waited for what seemed like hours for Harry and Sue to show. I still didn't know how I felt about them as my 'other' parents. I hadn't even processed the loss of mine.

The door bell made me jump, I needed to pay more attention to my surroundings, I was starting to become skittish. Nanette went and answer the door when I made no move to get up. I waited for them to come into the living room. When they came to the room I sat up straighter. We just looked at each other for a minute in an uncomfortable silence.

I took a deep breath to steady my voice.

"So you are Harry and Sue?"

Sue looked at Harry and rolled her eyes and stepped closer to me

"I am Sue, I guess technically I am your step mom." She tried to hide a cringe to the word, I pretended not to notice. She gestured to her husband, "This is Harry your biological father." She went and sat in the love seat dragging Harry with her. Aunt Nanette came and sat down next to me.

Harry cleared his throat, "I am sure you have several questions. I will answer them as truthfully as I can."

His voice was deep and ruff, but comforting. I smiled at him shyly.

"I do, I just not sure where to start." I thought for a minute, "I guess the beginning is best since mom didn't fill me in on that." "How did you know my mom?"

Harry looked at Sue with the saddest eyes, I could tell she knew the story well, he just didn't want to hurt her again. She nodded and he turned to me.

"I wasn't always a good man, I had some trouble with alcohol, and I would drink a lot in the first days of our marriage. I was away from home and met your mom while she was at a woodland retreat with her coven. I knew what she was, I know about the super natural stuff in our human world. I spent 3 nights with your mom. She left and I didn't hear from her for many years. We had already had one child, our daughter Leah I cleaned up, quit drinking and told my wife about my indiscretion. I was not proud, I was shameful and I worked hard to fix what I had broken. We then had a son Seth. We worked things out and Almost 3 years ago on your 15th birthday your mom called me. She wanted to meet up with us when she was in town. She told us about you and apologized for not tell me sooner. She wanted to make sure we could have that relationship if we wanted one. Apparently she did not tell you until recently from what I have been told. I reached out to her several times to see when we could meet, she was never ready. I am sorry we are meeting like this under these circumstances."

Harry looked uncomfortable and glanced at his wife.

I sat there taking in ever thing he said. I didn't know what to say to him. I looked down at my hands and played with my thumb nail.

Nanette cleared her throat.

"Well now that we know the basics, shall we talk about the hard stuff so Arya can get to the hospital to be with her sister?" She turned her body towards me,

"So we talked and I know you want to be with Melinda, we are going to give you a choice, you can go with Harry and Sue back to Washington; they are willing to take both of you or you can stay with me in Florida. It is all up to you, we know this is a big decision."

Sue leaned forward, "I know this is not an easy decision to make. None of us will be hurt by the choice you make. We will be here for a couple more days to help you in any way we can."

"Thanks, I do have more questions but I will think about things for a while."

I slip on my boots and get up,

"I'm sorry to just...I need to be with my sister now."

"No that's fine you go, we will be fine, go be with her." Nanette said as she gave me a hug.

"Thanks, will you be coming to the hospital later?" I asked Nanette

"Yes I will be there in a while." she kissed my cheek as I walked out the door.