I'm makin' meatloaf

March 16th, 2021  Age: 17

After school, Julie FaceTimed me, while I was laying on my bed waiting for Everly to get here. 

"So, how's school? Mom said that you go into some trouble." Julie said while she was smiling. 

"Yeah, mom told everyone that she knows that I got into some trouble at school, you know her, she can't keep her Southern mouth shut," I said jokingly. 

Julie laughed, "Yeah, I know that." 

"So," I started to say, "how is college going?" 

Julie sighed. "I mean, it's going I just have a lot of stuff to do." 

"Yeah, I can relate," I said back. 

But right as I said that someone knocked on my door, and I knew it would be my mom so I said that they can come in, but I was wrong. 

It was Everly, with her backpack on and a whole bunch of books in her hand with her white cane.  

"Hi, I know I came a little bit early," she said softly. 

I almost sighed, but I decided not to. "Oh. it's fine. You can set your stuff down on my desk." 

Julie gasped, "Oh MY GOASH! Is that a girl? Do you have a girl over?!" 

"Julie I gotta go," I said as I was trying to hang up. 

"What's her name? Is she cute? I want to meet her!" Julie yelled. 

Quickly I said, "Sorry, gotta go, bye!" then I finally hung up. 

 Julie, Bree Allen. Ruining her brother's life since day one. 

I stand up from my bed and walk over to Everly. "Sorry, that was my sister." 

"It's fine, so what do you want to work on first?" she asked me. 

We worked on memorizing my lines for about an hour, then math for forty-five minutes, and reading for thirty minutes. 

After that Everly started to leave and I followed her so that I could say bye, but right when I opened the front door my mom of course had to say something. 

"Everly, are you staying for dinner? It's almost ready, I'm makin' meatloaf, Caesar salad, and mash potatoes," she said as she was setting the table. 

I said, "No, mom Everly probably wants to go home." 

"No, It's fine. I can eat with you guys," Everly said.

I sighed, as Everly made her way to sit at the table. Great. 

I looked at my mom mad, what the hell is wrong with her. 

My mom made a face at me, that was like "what is wrong with you? sit next to her." 

I rolled my eyes and awkwardly made my way to sit next to Everly. 

Mom put out all of the food on the table as she sat down across from Everly. Then dad came into the house, he said hi to me and mom as he sat next to mom. 

Dad looked at Everly, then me, and smiled. "Everly Parker is joining us for dinner tonight, isn't that nice, Tom?" mom asked my dad. 

I rolled my eyes as my mom and dad were grinning from ear to ear. "Yes, this is great!" Dad said. 

Then all of us started to eat. 

Everything was going well, my parents weren't saying weird things like they usually do when I have someone over that is a girl. 

Until everything wasn't going so normal. 

"So, when did you two start dating?" dad asked. 

My eyes went wide, so did Everly's and mom's. "Tom! Everly is just tutoring Travis. Which reminds me, I'll give you a check for tutoring him, thanks again for doing this, this is really important for Travis, you know ever since Travis was caught smoking in the bathroom and was almost expelled from school." mom said. 

I felt like throwing up. My entire body felt like it is about to die from embarrassment of my parents. 

Everly awkwardly said, "Oh, yeah, it's a, no problem."

Then it was silent. The entire time my parents were looking at me and Everly just smiling the entire time that you would think their cheeks would hurt.

Right when Everly finished eating I stood up and said bye to her, but my mom made me walk her home, even though she lives next door from us, but whatever. 

When we were standing in front of her house I turned to her. "Well, thanks for everything. Thanks for staying for dinner, I know it was so awkward." 

Everly smiled. "It was hilarious, I actually had fun having dinner at your place. Nothing like that ever happens at my house, thanks for walking with me, bye Allen, see ya tomorrow." then she opened her front door and went inside her home. 

I smiled as I made my way back to my home.