Prom night

May 28th, 2021, Age: 17

When lunch came around I almost didn't want to go with anyone to prom, but then I decided that I probably should because I would look so stupid if I didn't go to prom with anyone else because I couldn't go with the person that I wanted to go with. 

I got one of those big signs and I wrote in big letters it said: Shelby Are You Up 4 Prom? As I had a big thing of balloons in my hand to reference the movie Up. And I did this the day before prom.

Without hesitation, Shelby simply hugged me and said yes. It was fine until she wanted to take a photo with it and post it on her Instagram. 

But everything that I did felt wrong. I didn't want to go to prom with Shelby Carson, Shelby is way too much for me to handle even though it is obvious that she likes me.  

Shelby made me sit down on a bench as she showed me a photo of her prom dress that she wants to wear. I just have to say that it is not flattering at all. I'm not even sure why we are having prom in May anyway. 

Her dress is light blue and purple, it gives me the 80s vibes that my mom wore when she went to prom. She wants me to wear a blue tie to go with her outfit and I need to buy it today, I guess. 

Once school ended I went to that place that she wanted me to go to, which is near the beach.

I went into the store, the man that was at the front desk was wearing a suit with a nametag that said, David. The man looked as if he's in his late fifties, he has black hair that looks like he gets it dyed every month. 

David smiled as I came up to the front desk. "Welcome, do you have an appointment for a suit fitting?" he asked. 

I shook my head, "No, I came in here to just pick up a tie, it's either under the name Shelby Carson or maybe Travis Allen?" 

David started to type on his computer. "Ah, yes we have a light blue bow tie under the name Travis Allen." 

I smiled, "Yeah, that's me." 

"Okay, I'll go get it in the back," David said as he stood up and left. 

I looked outside the window as I was in the store to see people walking around the small beach shops, as I was waiting I saw Jim walking as he waited for someone to catch up with him. It is a girl with brown hair holding a cane. 

That girl is Everly. She looked so pretty with her hair in a high bun with some hairs loose. Jim grabs Everly's hand and then Jim leans down and he kisses her. On the lips. 

My heart starts to hurt, it truly felt like my heart was just breaking into tiny little pieces and it hurts like someone is punching me in the gut as knives are stabbing my back. 

David comes back into the room with the tie in a package. "Will that be all?" he asked me. 

I couldn't turn around, I couldn't. Then they stop kissing and hand in hand they walk over to the beach. 

Finally, I turn around, I murmur yes to David and I pay for the tie. I leave the store feeling broken as I get into my car and leave. 

When I get home I go up to my room, I get a piece of paper and I start to write: Dear Everly, 

Shit, she can't read my writing. I rip up my paper and I throw it away in my small trash can. I run my fingers throw my unruly blonde hair. What is wrong with me? I have never acted like this before, especially for a girl. 

I mean, I have had a girlfriend before in middle school, but it wasn't anything serious. I was basically only dating her to look cool in front of my guy friends, but I didn't really like her that much and we only dated for a week because she moved away the next week.