Fourth of July

July 4th, 2021, Age:17

The beach is a gently sloping strip of land that lies along the edge of the ocean as the wind blows across the surface of the small waves while the beautiful sun is setting. 

I get out my camera, "Let's take a photo, Everly in front of the sunset!"  

She smiles, "Okay." 

Everly and I have been dating for a month now and every moment that I spend with her is unforgettable. 

I put my phone in front of her face so that she doesn't have to move it as I smile and she smiles. After taking the photo, she asks how it turned out and I told her that it is one of the best photos that we have ever taken. 

I bent down and I kissed her on the lips, Everly backed away from me, "What time is it?" 

I turned on my phone. "Almost six." 

Everly started to get all of her stuff, "We gotta go, were having dinner with our families, remember at six?" 

"Okay fine, let's go then," I said as I guided her to my car. 

. . . . . . . 

I opened the front door to my house when Everly and I walked in my dad and Mr. Parker (aka Robert) are barbequing cheeseburgers and hot dogs in the backyard talking to each other while my mom and Mrs. Parker (Alley) are in the kitchen making the finishing touches to the red, white and blue cake for dessert. 

Julie, Madison, and Amy are all back from college and sitting in the backyard talking and sunbathing in their bathing suits near my pool.  

About five minutes later my mom yelled at everyone to come in a eat. Everyone started to come in and take a seat. I sat down next to Everly as my mom was sitting beside me as well. 

Everyone was talking while eating their food and while people including my dad were asking where I want to go to college. I just told them that I was still thinking about where to go, but in reality, I don't want to go to college. The whole aspect of going back to school where school is harder and it is more stressful than high school and as you know high school or school, in general, is living hell for me.

Once everyone was done eating we all had the read while and blue cake for dessert.  After that, it was almost time to watch the fireworks. The fireworks begin to go off, Everly and I are sharing a blanket even though it wasn't that cold as I put my arm around her shoulders. While Julie and Madison went to hang out with their friends at the carnival. 

After the fireworks ended tapped me on the shoulder, "Travis, I got you a present." 

"A present? Is it a late birthday gift or an early Christman present?" I jocked around.  

Everly shook her head, "No, come and follow me." 

She stood up and I followed her to where she is going. We went to her house and walked up the steps to her bedroom. This was the first time in her room, it was cute every wall had some sort of drawings or paintings that she drew or painted herself that looked so amazing like she could be a famous artist. 

She stood there in the middle of her room, "Okay, I'm going to need you to close your eyes." 

"What? What are you-" 

Everly interrupted me. "Just do it, Travis, for me."

"Okay," I said as I closed my eyes and covered my eyes with my hands. 

It was taking a while, "Can I open my eyes now?" 

"No, not yet stop complaining. I'm a blind girl trying to find a present for you, okay," she said.

I smiled as I didn't say anything back.  

"Okay... Now you can open them," she said. 

I slowly opened my eyes to see right in front of my eyes a dark purple surfboard that looked brand new leaning against Everly's wall in her room. It was a beautiful board. I walked over to it as I toughed it and was admiring the board. 

"Is this mine?" I asked. 

Everly smiled, "Yeah, I heard that you lost your surfboard so I decided to get you a new board. I know it's not yellow like your other surfboard, but I choose purple because it is the same color as my necklace." 

My eyes lit up as I smiled so big I was so happy. I hugged her, "Thank you, I love it. Whenever I surf I will always be thinking about you." 

We backed away from each other as I kissed her. I was the happiest person on earth and nothing could change that.