Too Much [27]

It was morning. I came out of my apartment, heading to school. My shoulder carried my usual school bag, while my hand carried a small bag filled with three containers of chocolate chip muffins I made the day before. I was planning to give it to the three, as an apology gift.

I was looking into my school bag, making sure I didn't forget any book. Until I ran into someone. "Hey! Watch where you're going!" a girl with burgundy pigtails said as she turned around. "I'm sorry," as soon as I stood up her expression changed, from scowling to what looked like to be amazed.

Her dark red eyes seemed to light up, her cheeks tinted a little pink. I looked at her, "I really like your hair," I said, "It's really cute." Her eyes sparkled, "Really?" she beamed, and the pink on her cheeks became more obvious.

I nodded, "I also think your outfit is really fashionable," I smiled, watching the girl's reaction. "This old thing?" she looked at her outfit, placing her hands on her hips. I hummed, "Its really cute." I looked at my wrist, "Ah!" I squeaked, noticing the time, "I have to go, the bell is about to ring."

"Wait!" she called out, "I'd like to give you something," she turned around for a moment and looked back at me. Between her fingers was a small heart-shaped sticker, "Here," she placed it on my uniform, smiled right after.

"Oh, thank you," I said, placing my hand over the small thing, "I really do like the way you dress. See you!" I said, turning around and running into the school.

Ishida Uryu sat at the usual spot, under a tree. His eyes were focused on a small book in front of him. I took a deep breath and walked over to him, "Um..." I said softly as I kneeled next to him. His gaze went away from the book and to me, "Oh, Ned," he said, putting away his book, "What is it?"

"About yesterday... I want to apologize for how I behaved. Sorry I snapped at you suddenly," my fingers tapped on the container, "Here." I handed him the container, "A small apology gift," I said, "And you better take it! I'm not accepting refunds," I muttered, placing the container next to him.

Uryu smiled, "You don't have to apologize," he said, taking the container, "And you certainly didn't have to make this for me." He took off the lid and looked at the muffin. 

"I'm mediocre at baking, so sorry if it doesn't taste good," I muttered, gesturing to the muffin.

He shook his head, "It's a gift, I shouldn't be picky about it." He closed the lid and placed it aside. "Ned, are you alright?" he asked, lowering his voice, "You seem a little off since the rescue."

My features softened, "Just..." I paused, carefully choosing my words, "I'm just recovering, that's all," I answered, smiling right after. "I'll be fine," I said softly, getting up. "Now, I have to go find Orihime," I muttered, "See you at class Uryu," I said. He nodded in my direction.

I went over to the place where Orihime usually ate lunch with all her friends. And there she was, having a conversation with Tatsuki and all. Orihime noticed me and quickly got up, "Neddy-Chan!" she beamed and went over to me.

"Orihime," I answered, smiling at the girl. 

"Are you okay?" she asked, her hand reached out to hold my shoulder but she quickly put it back down. 

I hummed, "I'm okay," I said, my hand reaching into the bag, "Thank you for the gift yesterday," I muttered, handing her the container, "I'm not much of a good baker, but here. Sorry for how I reacted yesterday."

She shook her hand, refusing the gift, "You don't have to apologize!"

"At least take the gift," I insisted, "I made it for you!"

"Well, since you went through the trouble..." Orihime took the container into her head, "It looks good!" she beamed, seeing the muffin in it, "Thank you, Neddy-Chan!"

"Thank you, Orihime."

***

"Please, if you would!" I pleaded to Kisuke, "I know I'm asking a lot after breaking the Karakura-Raizer watch, but I have to see Shinji-San!" Kisuke raised his eyebrows, "I don't want to be a barrier between the romance going on between the two of you," he muttered, "But, I'm a little worried about you. I heard from Uryu you didn't like the corridor much and I don't think going there alone would do you any help."

I sighed, fiddling with the small bag in my hand, "But I need to see him," I muttered, looking at the table. I thought of the corridor and my insides started to panic. My first thought was to shun the idea out of my head. I started thinking about what Shinji thought when I slammed the door at him.

"Come on, I can take her there," Yoruichi muttered, plopping down beside me, "I won't let this story end here," she said, "It's interesting watching the two." "It's like something out of a series," Kisuke commented. The two snickered right after.

My face turned red, "Just take me to Soul Society," I mumbled, looking away from the duo. Yoruichi laughed, "Alright, alright," she got on her feet, "I'll just have to go prepare myself first." As she said that, she went out of the room, leaving me with the shopkeeper.

"Ned, how are you these days?" Kisuke suddenly asked, "From what I heard, you acted strange recently." I froze, my eyes stuck on the wooden table, "Uh," I nervously tapped on the surface, "I'm just..."

"Recovering?" he interrupted, "That's what I've been told." The atmosphere instantly changed. It reminded me too much of the counseling sessions I had. Like the moment I cracked a gay joke and the counsellor decided to look more into it.

"Is there something you aren't telling us, Miss Neddy?"

My blood went cold immediately. I suddenly felt cold in my pink long-sleeved cottage dress. "How can I tell you without making it sound traumatizing...?" I mumbled, fiddling with my fingers, "A lot happened while I was there..."

Kisuke hummed, "Take your time, you don't necessarily have to tell me all of it right now. Tell me whatever is on your mind."

My mind was flooded with thoughts. How was I supposed to tell him without blurting out a bunch of nonsense? "There's the part where I killed him with his own blade," I muttered, twiddling with my thumbs, "And then there's..." my fingers went to my neck, realizing the necklace wasn't there.

I slowly put my hand down, "Kisuke-San..." I muttered, "Is it wrong to um..." I hesitated, thinking if he was the right person to talk about it with, "To..." I uncomfortable shifting in my position. I never felt that type of uncomfortable since I tried coming out to my counselor. "To like your own enemy...?" I asked, biting my lip right after.

He raised his eyebrows, "It sounds like you aren't quite finished with the sentence."