Prologue🏐

"I wanna play too!"

They turned away, silently, not willing to acknowledge his presence.

Shiro stood dumbfounded as the ball rose up in the sky and struck their hands, soaring past the net.

Why wouldn't they let him play?

A soft hand rested on his shoulder, tearing him away from the court.

"Come now. It's no use fretting over something that won't happen."

Won't... happen?

Shiro looked up at his mother, confused at the stoic expression that veiled her features. 

Why wouldn't it happen?

Shiro bit his lip, wobbling to his feet. His mother grabbed onto his side, letting him catch his balance, before she let him go to walk on his own.

"Mama, why can't I play?"

The woman looked away, hiding her expression once again from the boy. It hurt her heart, it truly did, to see her little one so infatuated with something he'd never be able to truly do. 

It was her fault, after all. 

Shiro sniffled as a familiar pinprick of pain bled through his leg. He clutched onto her sleeve. "Mama-"

She silently bent over and picked up her child, ignoring the sidelong look he sent at the boys playing on the court, and walked away. Shiro nuzzled into the crook of her neck, eyes fixated on the yellow and blue ball that soared through the sky.

"Shiro-chan, bite your tongue and close your eyes." 

She knew he wouldn't. She just didn't want him chasing a wild dream, one that would hurt him in the end. So she asked him softly once again, to close his eyes, as a way to rest her conscience.

"....okay Mama." Shiro's soft, plaintive voice rang through her head as he buried his face in the woman's hair, ignoring the hushed taunts of the boys on the court that grew fainter as they walked away.

Her heart burst right then and there, and she blinked back the tears in her eyes, heaving another breath as she carried the heavy child back to their apartment. 

What did her little boy do to deserve this?

Another whimper from him, and the woman found herself shushing him.

"I know, I know. We're almost home."

She grunted as she walked into the apartment building, through the lobby and into the hallway to their first-floor flat, shifting Shiro's heavy weight onto one side as she fumbled with her keys. Finally letting them into the apartment, the woman gently dropped the child onto the Japanese futon.