In Darkness He Lurks🏐

OVERLOOKED THROUGHOUT THE FIRST SET, SHIRO SAT ON THE BENCH, ANALYZING.

He observed closely, carefully, the tics of each Johjenzi player, how unruly they were.  How they were seemingly unpredictable, chaotic, like a mob of Hinatas after he managed to get his grubby lil hands on Noya's guava candy stash in the gym's westernmost vent.

(  After Hinata was found dangling from a ceiling light, cracked out on sugar, the libero's candy stash was promptly thrown away by Daichi, who claimed it a fire hazard. Later that day, Shiro had promptly been paid a solid 300 yen in exchange for his silence when he found dozens of candy wrappers littered around Sugawara's gym bag. 

Later, later  that day, when they were out at Sakanoshita to buy meatbuns, Daichi came up suspiciously 300 yen short, and Kageyama unknowingly walked past Noya with- Shiro's gifted -300 yen. Which was even more suspicious, considering that Kageyama  never remembered to bring money, and his boyfriend Shiro knew it was futile to bring money when everyone would chip in for his share. A frantic investigation  by the feral second year lead to the discovery of a single candy wrapper in the hidden pocket of Suga's gym bag, and thus the Candy Scandal was born.

The team would be forever divided on whose side to take. The crackhead libero, who had evidence? Or their trustworthy coach and third year setter? Shiro, the only other person other than the third years to know the truth,  decided to keep it an utter secret,  finding it rather amusing to see them all bicker about it. )

"You're thinking of it, aren't you?" Yachi asked softly, eyes not leaving the Karasuno uniforms playing. Hinata soared once again, spiking a point onto the other side of the court. Shiro gave the ginger a thumbs up from the bench.

"Of w-what?" Shiro asked in return.

"How to get us a victory?"

Shiro didn't say a word, simply sending her a reassuring smile before turning back onto the court.

 No, he was not thinking about that.  

Back on track, brain.

Next to him, he left enough space for a small boy to sit, and beside him the boy sat, unbeknownst to the rest of the world.

"You made it here, Shiro. Now make every second count."

Shiro saw gold curls in his peripheral vision, knowing in his heart that if he turned to truly, deeply look, the boy would fade away. So he stared on at the court, chewing hard on his bottom lip in order to tamp down his urge.

Flashes of his childhood, of the grassy field, of sunsets and laughter and six little friends. Of taunts and pain and the grim peace in a hospital bed, of volleyball, volleyball, volleyball.

He shook out his white hair out of his eyes, blinking fast to hide the slight mistiness that overcame them.

" They're unpredictable, but don't be afraid. I'm still here."

Sunlight warmth engulfed his hand again, as Shiro whipped his head to see Coach Ukai reaching over Yachi to reassure him.

Because truly, in that moment of searing passion that flared up from the amputee on the bench, Ukai had turned and caught a glimpse of a gold haired boy, sitting right next to Shiro, a grin so smug and sharp it was downright adorable. Eyes like hawks, analyzing, and in that moment Shiro and the strange boy looked exactly alike, both thinking hard, both sufferers of a sad fate, both letting all their dark emotions pour into their strength and build themselves up like an infinite spire.