New Beginnings🏐

THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE  MIYAGI DISTRICT VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT.

The whole team was shaking with anticipation and vigor, most of them fueled by the desire to throw their loss against Aoba Johsai in the preliminaries back into Oikawa's stupid face with a win.

And they actually had a new player prospecting to be on the team, one that passed Nishinoya's infamously hard test of worthiness.

"You mean... I just had to call you Nishinoya-senpai, and you'd let me pass?" 

Yamasaki raised an eyebrow at the second year, who looked like he'd just been told that his face was so beautiful it deserved a statue erected in its honor.

"Well of course, your senpai is going to do anything for his kouhai!" Nishinoya boasted proudly, little chest puffed out with a huge grin over his face. 

"You pass my infamously hard test! Only 2 out of three thousand have ever passed it! Think of yourself as someone very near and dear to my heart now. Of course, you come after Kiyoko and Shiro-san, but still! Near and dear~" He sang as he waltzed off, his precious Ryu calling over to him, waving his water bottle in the air.

Suga watched the scene from afar, and the crimson eyed boy stepped further into the court, wondering if it was that easy to join the volleyball team. He sensed something off about him, the way those eyes skimmed over everyone in the court, top to bottom, the way they marked the exits and the windows and the equipment.

 Either he was a very curious soul, this strange blue-haired, red-eyed first year, or he just meant trouble.

And knowing  the Karasuno crows, they always attract trouble.

Sugawara scoffed, walking forward and cutting off the boy's path towards the basket of volleyballs, arms crossed, a warm but firm smile over his face.

"Hello there, are you new?"

"Y-Yeah! I'm a transfer student, uh, Yamasaki Hikari." He bowed, his pale-blue hair with a floofiness that rivaled Hinata's. It reminded Suga of a cotton candy puff, the kind he'd get at the fall carnival. "I would like to join the volleyball team!"

"Why the volleyball team? It is late into the season. And you can't just join off the bat, yknow. Whatever Noya told you is bull. So, what position do you play?" Sugawara sweetly said, his refreshing aura calming the nerves of Yamasaki's down into a gentle simmer.

"Oh, well I wanna join because I always liked volleyball, never had a team to play with." Yamasaki mused softly, shyly looking away.  Sugawara raised an eyebrow, a bit of his heartstrings twanging at the thought of being all alone without a team. He was like Hinata in that sense.

"And I play any position you'd like me to! I don't have to be on the team, per se, I could help with being the ball boy! Or... or the water boy? Or the scorekeeper? But I am really good at defense!"

"We have a libero if that's what you're asking. And we have managers that do the scorekeeping." Suga politely pointed out.

"I-I..." He looked dejected, at a loss for words.

"If you're here for the jacket, or for stealing our jerseys, or for ogling my boys," Suga sweetly smiled, his tone growing too-cheery at the end. "Please, leave. We need to prepare for our tournaments."