Chapter Eighteen: The Abandoned House

The feeling of the wind blowing through my wolf's fur as I ran through the forest was an adrenaline spurge

The feeling of the wind blowing through my wolf's fur as I ran through the forest was an adrenaline spurge. The crunches of the leaves, branches and the sound of my pack mates running closely behind me, made me push myself even more.

I could hear the deep heavy breathing of Gavin, Preston and a few other pack members that joined us. Preston informed us how they finally got the scent of the red eyed wolf and this was the only chance we could get. I only hoped the wolf was still there when we got to the destination.

'Mike said they got a scent in an abandoned house about two miles from the pack house' Preston said, coming up beside me.

I nodded and pushed further in the woods then stopped as soon as I saw an old wooden house. It looked completely vacant except I could smell the strong scent of the wolf, along with another strange scent that I couldn't place my finger on.

'Wait' I said, 'This looks like it was too easy'

Gavin and Preston crouched down and watched intensively at the house. I could see the wheels turning in their heads at the thought of what exactly was happening. What was in this house? Were we going to find the wolf?

'We need to go inside' Preston said sternly.

I turned towards him and growled, 'We don't know what's in there Preston'

'That's exactly why we need to go in'

Shaking my head, I moved in front of Preston and bared my teeth until Preston lowered his head in submission. Though he would never submit in human form, I knew our wolves were very different and rank was the top social status in a wolf's life.

Still standing in front of Preston, I turned towards Keith and my father who were also in wolf form, standing behind us watching the interaction between Preston and I.

'What do we know?' I asked.

My father came forward and crouched down beside me, 'We don't know much just that his scent was found here. It's too close to our pack for comfort'

I nodded and crouched down even further in the bushes. I noticed the door to the house was slightly open which made me even more curious. There was a wrap-around porch on the small ranch wooden house that had various articles of clothing on it along with a backpack and a few mismatched items that I couldn't tell what they were from my crouched position.

'It looks like he's long gone' Gavin said, 'The door is left open, only an idiot would leave it open if he was here not even a mile away from his enemies'

I narrowed my eyes at the house and tried to see if I could smell anyone in the house but I couldn't tell. The strong scent of the wolf and the unfamiliar smell corrupted my mind. Except, thinking back to my mother's early comment I knew who that other scent belonged to; it was the fox shifter or the Kitsune.