Chapter Fourteen: The Date

Growing up, children read mythical stories

Growing up, children read mythical stories. Stories that held the unknown, a completely new and different world that could take the reader away with just one word. Echo used to love those mythical, fantasy stories up to the point she would dress up as a maiden in distress waiting for her prince, who happened to be a mythical creature, to come and save her.

I thought it was crazy that my sister was obsessed with these stories that were completely untrue. The idea that someone could grow fangs, turn into a wolf, and create a spell, made me wonder how people came up with these ideas. Ideas that were unreal and honestly foolish.

Except now, I had no idea what to believe anymore.

Running a hand through my hair, I leaned my head against the back of Maize's brown worn down couch. Maize sat on the black recliner, staring down at numerous newspaper articles along with several books on werewolves and shapeshifters. I felt like I was in the episode of Teen Wolf where Stiles goes crazy researching numerous articles and books about these creatures.

I glanced at my phone that was laying face down on the coffee table. I couldn't keep looking at the video of Gage transforming from a wolf into a human. I could hear the bones breaking back into place and the sight made me nauseous. The thought of being close to someone who wasn't even human made me wonder what world I actually lived in. Several questions ran throughout my head.

If he was a werewolf, who else in this town was?

Is his entire family werewolves?

Does he kill people?

Why is he suddenly going after me?

I closed my eyes as my head started hurting from thinking. Maize and I have been sitting on Maize's living room floor for the past hour, Maize trying to find answers while I tried not to think. After eating lunch at the diner, Maize forced me to come back to her apartment, saying we both needed to figure out answers. Frankly, I went there because she was the only person who I considered to be an actual human. The thought that mythical creatures from my childhood stories were in real life, made me too scared to be by myself and I trusted Maize now more than ever.

"Someone can be born a shapeshifter or they can be bitten" Maize said, as she glanced up from her book and looked down at my leg.

I followed her eyes until they landed on my bandaged leg, "That's bullshit, I'm not a werewolf"

"The book says the bite will heal within a day after being bitten if you are turning into a shapeshifter"

We both looked down at the bandage and then back up at each other, hesitation running through both our eyes. I could see Maize gulp as she slowly stood up and walked over towards me until she was sitting by my feet.

"If it's not there, I will scream" She warned me as she placed her hands on the gauze.

Rolling my eyes, I leaned forward, "Just take it off Maize"